iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

M14 Belsaw

Started by Log Jammer, December 06, 2017, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log Jammer

I have a Belsaw M14 and need to change the belts. Could anybody help on what belts would work best and any tricks on changing them? Please and Thank you

Don P

It's been awhile, I remember taking the tractor side bearing loose. Thread in a couple of belts and wire a spare or two to the outside frame rail. I'll see if I can read anything on my spare.

Log Jammer

Great, I appreciate that.

Don P

Its a Goodyear, these are the numbers on it;
4L570
A55F

I'm at the very top of the adjustment slots on the feedworks, I'd say it should be an inch longer.

Log Jammer

Alright. I will take a look. My other two belts seem to have too much slack, this causes the carriage to suddenly stop.

Don P

They should have enough slack to freely slip until the idler from the hand stick engages either one. The spring should hold the stick and idlers in the neutral position where the carriage will stop.

Log Jammer

Belts are A59, dog side. A65, blade side, and 4L600 for the mandrel shaft belt.

moodnacreek

While this is not the answer to your question it may help some day.  Remove the feed box and   mount a drum, say 5" pipe on hanger bearings at the same position as the drum on the original feed.  Find the smallest 'B' pulley that can be mounted on the mandrel outboard to drive the bell saw feed to be mounted out board and be driven with said  'B' pulley. Now get #60 chain and sprockets and drive new  cable drum with old feed box. I did this 30 years ago and it still works.   The  'a' belt is no good and too hard to change. This modification fixes the slippage and service problem but keep an eye on the feed gears as the roll pins shear .  Also I made that new drum the width of the ways [much wider]

Log Jammer

Moodnacreek, Thanks! Is there any chance of getting a picture of this?

moodnacreek

Log jammer, I,m still in the stone age here although I want to learn as I have collected a lot of sawmill literature over the years and have no one to share it with [that's interested].

moodnacreek

log jammer, have been trying like mad to get photos on. My wife is learning to do it. [ It's hopeless for me]  Here goes nothing:  THE drive pully on the mandrel you can not buy. It is a blank 'b' with a shaft collar on each side welded or bolted. Surplus center will have everything you need. The blank pully could be 'weld a sprocket type', x bore = 2 " and get 1 3/4 split smei collars. They should be broached for a key. I used pipe to get lever on sawers side of mill.

Log Jammer

Thanks for the post! Those pictures turned out nicely...

Thank You Sponsors!