iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaf vac for sawdust removal

Started by Fern Wood, January 16, 2020, 08:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Jeep,

You make a good point and raise a question in my mind "Why is it acceptable and generally proper, even if informal and casual, etiquette to refer to a male as a guy but many females tend to think calling them a gal is derogatory and insulting?"

Ted,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the plastic totes. I think this is the one I saw and thought then it was ingenious in its simplicity and cost effectiveness. I would bet 4 long totes would be perfectly adequate for 90% of the sawing most of us do and 3 would likely cover 75% of our sawing. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Since my primary sawing is portable, the totes are a good solution for sawing on a customer's lawn or pasture where they might not want the sawdust.  

I do like the idea of the leaf vac for my log yard and semi stationary sawing site.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

For a blower on mine I got an old industrial squirrel cage fan from a commercial building HVAC unit. I cut the squirrel cage off leaving the heavy steel circular plate that attached to the motor. I then cut 1.8" thick steel rectangles with a clipped corner that was oriented towards the intake center. Laid it out carefully and welded those blades to the plate, can't remember either 6 or 8 of them. I hooked it back to the motor and spun it by hand marking the side that was consistently up and put a little more bead there and repeated till I was satisfied it was reasonably balanced. I wasn't sure it would work but that was around 15-20 years ago and its still on the same motor. I did make it less deep than the original and moved that intake side of the scroll housing in so in my mind it was using less power than original. Diameter is suction pressure, width is volume on these fans. I also tightened up the cutout gap on the scroll housing bringing it a little closer to the blades. Too close and it just makes more noise with no improvement. 

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 18, 2020, 01:13:40 PM"Why is it acceptable and generally proper, even if informal and casual, etiquette to refer to a male as a guy but many females tend to think calling them a gal is derogatory and insulting?"

Because folks have gotten way too soft...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!