iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocks for supper

Started by Tom, February 12, 2003, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

this yankee eats oysters raw. 8) just a little cocktail sauce please.  and those little crackers :D why does ya thinks they calls em oyster crackers then. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

did i mention clams.  not the little neck ipschwich kind but the small cohawgs that ya shuck and suck.  with just a little cocktail sauce please.  and by the way put some horseradish ina the cocktail sauce..........please :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I just stick a screwdriver into the back of the oyster and pop it open, makes easy work of the rock food. :P

Fla._Deadheader

Finally, some REAl men. Can't believe you guys would COOK them fine eatin devils. Clams either raw or chowdered. You're makin me hungry.  :D :D ;D ;D :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I eat raw oysters all the time, but they are great cooked a variety of ways, too. Fried ones are super, and a good oyster stew is hard to beat, but you guys gotta try THIS!  Git yerself some ordinary bacon, the cheap, grocery store thin stuff. Cut each slice into about 3 pieces. Lay a big ol' juicy oyster, right outta tha hull, on each slice. Sprinkle them with pepper, and a little salt, if the oysters ain't already salty enough. Roll each one up, and pin it with a toothpick. Pop'em under the broiler for a few minutes, turn'em over, and broil the other side.
Either do this when you are totally alone, or do a whole bunch of'em. They'll disappear fast! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Noble_Ma

The wife likes them fried too DanG.  I prefer them raw.  The only this along this line that I do like cooked is steamers.  You haven't eaten so good until you've had steamers with fresh drawn butter.  Any of you guys ever have raw scallops?  I've eaten them right out of the ocean after being dredged up with a buddy of mine in Maine.  Sweeter than sweet 8)

woodmills1

raw oysters
raw cherrystone clams
red sauce with horseradish

steamed cherrystone
steamed ipscwich clams
steamed mussels even
drawn butter and broth to wash em in

steamed lobster with drawn butter

scallops broiled or wrapped in bacon

man I am getting hungry just typing. :D

Tom

makes ya want to slap your Momma

L. Wakefield

One of the GREAT things about doing steamers is that you have the left-over clam juice. It is the BEST to add to your clam chowder or lobster stew. It's just way better than the canned or bottkes stuff. I freeze whatever I don't use and it's there waitin when I get a windfall of seafood. We are nuts about chowders- the kind you make with milk and cream. It's excellent when the cow is in milk.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

Mmmmm Yes.  Chowder.  I like the white kind the best and especially when somebody lovingly remembered to save some of the escense of a previous meal to make it special.

Ah Man! Food, lovingly prepared and served, is the height of excellance ever reached by the human race and makes a man stay close by his camp. :)

Bibbyman

No wonder they've never found a spotted owls in the old south,  you guys probably served them all up with grits and raw oysters. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dan-l-b

DanG, I with you.  Can't eat shrimp.  Makes me deathly ill.  I'm with Bibbyman on this, I will take a big steak with potatoes and gravy anyday. ;D

Texas Ranger

Bibbyman, grits don't go with bird, less they be quail.  Bird goes with dumplins.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

Yumm, yum. Spotted owl and grits. Now that's sumpthin to EAT.  Almost as good as Bald Eagle with Oyster dressing. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Serve all of those as aside with Manatee steaks, and ya got yerself a treat !!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

billbobtlh

Dan G the oysters are in the back of my truck.
Deadheader a friend went to the Manatee festival at St. Marks one day and complained all they were serving was hotdogs and hamburgers. Funny looks when he asked for sea cow! :D

DanG

Bill, where's yer truck parked? I'll bet I'm within walking distance. ;D

Skeeter

I would rather eat my shoe than an oyster.....Ackkkkk

To each is his own I guess.

Skeeter
Skeeter

Tom

Yech! I know what you mean, skeeter.  They're terrible.  Poison sometimes too.  Things get awful tough around here sometimes though and we have to make do with what we can get so if you'll pass me your's I'd certainly appreciate it.  ;D

Uh.......thanks. 8)

Bibbyman

I eat eggs and I even know where they come from. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

When me and my in-laws went oysterin', my father-in-law liked to eat some real tiny red crabs he would find on the oyster shell when he'd pull it up. He said they were sweet as candy and he'd crunch up the whole little tiny crab and swaller it. :o  I never could bring myself to eat one of those.

By the by (that's English for the U.S. version of By the way),  when we threw the oysters on the grill, they weren't cooked, they were just warm. When the heat killed 'em, they relaxed and  the shell would crack open. We'd grab 'em, dip 'em  and swaller 'em right then and there! 8)  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tagerts_crossing

how bout some of you in oyster country pack some in dry ice and send north.  Wont be long till Morel Mushroom season may be able to work out a trade.  Now I brought it up I wont be able to stop thinking about them mushrooms :o
John Schoolcraft

Don P

Morels are good eating, I remember something about morels being linked to the host tree through its mycelium to the tree roots. They come up when there is a thiamin increase in the roots in the spring ???

L. Wakefield

OOoh, I love morels. Only found them once. I have heard they like hemlock, elm, and wood ash. So naturally these were where I'd put some ash and hemlock barck mulch, by an elm stump that refuses to die. I want to go out and about and put bark mulch and ashes near all my elms. I religiously poured the washwater out from them so any spores would have a chance. But I read up on them, and they are touchy. They tend to start to develop and then drop into a dormant state having formed a mass called a sclerotium- it's an ugly looking thing. There is a subtle interaction of several things that may break this dormancy- the thiamine you mention may be part of it. They mentioned moisture fluctuations as well. Here's hoping they come up again...  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

OneWithWood

DanG!  I lost my morels out in the woods once and could not bring myself to go back and look for 'em.  Life's been much simpler since.  
I do love those mushrooms I find out there tho! 8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!