iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw safety

Started by thomasbeaverton, March 01, 2015, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiles

It might seem a little awkward at first but I personally want the chainsaw as far away from me as possible.
Easy for me because I started out cutting that way.
Like I stated, you cant used the locked elbow cutting technique in some situations, but it makes you more aware of the dangers.
I guess I am in a minority, but it has worked for me many years.
Satisfy needs before desires

JohnG28

I don't see one particular way to cut given that every log, tree, cut, whatever is going to be different. You need to understand the forces acting on the log, the saw and yourself and understand how that particular cut could go wrong. That's what I do anyway. As long as you're prepared for the possible ways the saw could react you have a good start IMO. That doesn't take Murphy's Law into account however, so always beware. Getting some time running a saw with someone who knows what they're doing will be a big help IMO also. Be safe.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jiles

I had a young man, probably in his late twenties, come and look at one of my saws. I always let the prospective buyer crank and cut with the saw.
The saw was an Echo cs345 that I had rebuilt.
He started cutting and right off I knew he knew nothing about chainsaws. He bogged the saw down no less the four times cutting an eight inch sweetgum log.
I asked him for the saw and I made four cuts without the first bog.
I told him he was pressing too hard and trying to cut too fast for a 34cc saw.
He took the saw back and made six or eight cuts without an issue.
He had a big smile on his face and said SOLD!

thomasbeaverton

Quote from: beenthere on March 05, 2015, 10:16:26 AM
Quote from: thomasbeaverton on March 05, 2015, 07:55:13 AM
Thank you. Locked elbow makes complete sense to me. I appreciate the advice, sir.

Doesn't to me... but will check it out today and see.  Must be pretty awkward to keep an elbow locked through the cut.

Picture a chainsaw on the end of a solid straight steel pole, the other end is your shoulder, it kicks back, the saw goes straight in the air. The length of your arm as your elbow is locked would physically keep the saw from coming in contact with you almost all of the time.

The bent elbow creates an express route straight to the head/face whatever. Obviously your grip/strength/tension while your elbow is bent will determine the outcome and you would mostly be just fine.

If your shoulder/elbow/arm with a chainsaw on the end were a piece of machinery in a factory or shop, and a person had to stand behind it, shoulder height, the shop/factory would, for safety/liability reasons,  eventually take the elbow out of the machine and make it a straight bar. Physically,  the angles/risks/possibilities suggest that you are at more risk with the range of motion when an elbow is bent. The straight bar would primarily keep it out of your wheelhouse and the bent elbow would be more likely to keep it in your wheelhouse.

My two cents.  I thinks it is an awesome topic of conversation though.  Clearly there will be situations where locked elbow may not be a possibility.  I get that. Just siding with the physics of the locked elbow as a concept. (Yes, we should all be safe enough with a bent elbow, otherwise were not being safe enough anyway.)- plenty can be said, but the physics make sense to me.

thomasbeaverton

Thank you, JohnG.  I appreciate your words and the time you took to provide input.

John Mc

Basically, a locked elbow does not rely on muscle strength and reaction time to keep a kickback from coming back at you. Not to say it's the only way to protect yourself, but something to consider, especially since fatigue and dehydration can have a significant effect on strength/endurance, reaction time, and judgement.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jiles

If you ever have a violent kickback, and the saw goes nearly straight up, you will be glad you used the locked elbow. This is not something I came up with. It was suggested to me by an older man that had used a chainsaw more then I ever will.

Ron Scott

On Saturday, January 7th, MUCC will be hosting Chuck Oslund to teach a Chainsaw Safety Course at their office in Lansing, MI.

This course is free and will cover topics on why each saw operator must have a safety system, the elements of a good safety system, mental aspects of safety, safer chainsaw handling techniques, and the state-of-the-art safest way to fall a large diameter tree.
This year, we will also be offering an optional hands-on training on Sunday, January 8th. This will include tree-felling demonstrations by experienced sawyers and the option to practice bucking techniques as well as felling cuts on stumps. This portion will be hosted at a location in the Rose Lake State Game Area- time TBA, please RSVP here for updates on the event details.
     *Note: If you've attended Chuck's course with us previously, you are welcome to attend the optional hands on training. Others must attend the lecture portion before attending the optional hands on training day.

A majority of on the ground wildlife habitat projects involve sawyer techniques and it is highly recommended that volunteers utilize this safety training to keep up with the safety system. The seminar provides a great amount of detailed techniques and is updated each year. Lunch will be provided by MUCC for both the lecture and training portion. 
o   January 07, 2017 at 9am – 4pm
o   January 08, 2017 at 9am- TBD
o   Michigan United Conservation Clubs
2101 Wood St
Lansing, MI 48912

Sarah Topp
stopp@mucc.org

Michigan United Conservation Clubs
http://www.mucc.org/

~Ron

Caloren

Well I've been using chainsaws for almost 50 years, but if I lived close enough to this I would love to go. Never too old to learn!  8)
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Thank You Sponsors!