iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no USB port!

Started by redpowerd, May 01, 2003, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

help!  i bought a camera that requires a USB port, come to find i have none! id like to photo some trees and try to get in the SHOOTOUT. thanks! there must be some adapter or card to buy or sumpin  
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Rick Schmalzried

Red,
You can purchase a USB expansion card that plugs into an expansion slot inside your computer.  You should be able to get one for under $25.  You need to be slightly careful with the verison of Windows you are running.  I am pretty sure Win95 doesn't support USB and I don't remember if Win98 does either.

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Kevin_H.

I'm running windows 98 and have usb ports if that helps ya out any.
If you have plug and play your usb card should be easy to install, I think?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Mark M

Win 98 does but it might require the Second Edition.

Jason_WI

Win 95b supports USB as well as 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP.

NT does not support USB or Firewire (IEEE 1394).

I have had good luck with Keyspan USB stuff in the past. Just plug in the card, install the driver, and you cooking with gas...

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

biziedizie

A USB can be supported by all of the above mentioned operating systems even NT. NT just needs the drivers to make the USB work and they can be down loaded online.
  The problem with NT is that it's made for business applications and that's why some games and other programs won't work with it. But now with all the down load sites out there you can get drivers to make things work with NT. NT sucks and I never did like it but then again it's purpose was for one thing only and that's for business and not for anything else.

Steve

DextorDee

Does your camera have a memory card installed? (compact flash,smartmedia etc.)
If so, you can use a card reader that uses the serial or
parallel ports. Not as fast as usb but they work.
The reader when installed shows up as another drive.
Just don't format the card using your computer.  :'(
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

redpowerd

thanks! ill go to wally world or radio shack to find that plug n play stuff. im sure ill get it, plug it in, and my computer will explode or smoke or burn the house down. spose ill leave that work fer the local pc guru ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Kevin_H.

hey Red,
What ever you do dont let the blue smoke out of your computer...I dont know what it does, but everytime I let the blue smoke out of any thing electrical, it quits working. ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

biziedizie

Red pop the top off the puter and look down and you will see your other cards there. Now find a free spot and plug in the usb, don't forget the little screw! Install the software, reboot and your on your way. It's just as easy as changing a fuse in the Buick.
  Try not to do this on carpet cause you can create static which could fry the puter and you don't want Kevins blue smoke :D
  Oh yeah remember to turn the thing off before doing this or the blue smoke will be coming out of your ears ;)

Steve

redpowerd

whoah! i was under the impression i couldnt doo this meself, this may be my last post from this pc, if you dont hear from me in some days................
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Rick Schmalzried

Red,
Don't be intimidated by that overgrown toaster.  Although I never had a Buick, I would rather swap cards on a PC than change fuses on the Olds I had in high school... :D

For the most part, it is impossible to plug a PC component into a location it doesn't belong.  Most of the cables/connectors are specific to the type of device.  The only cable that has problems are hard drive cables which can be put in backwards.  However, I have never had anything damaged doing this.  (Basically you end up grounding all the signals, both to and from the drive).

Good Luck....

Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

biziedizie

Speaking of toasters has anyone put a pop tart in one and held the plunger down? It's really cool cause it makes flames about a foot and a half high. :D Another cool thing me and my kid do is put junk cds in the microvave and turn it on for 10 secs, very cool with the lights out. :D

Steve

redpowerd

has the ole lady seen that one? ??? ??? ??? ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

biziedizie

Nope!....Fired her ass along time ago. :)
  Hey if you ever want to make your soap last a very long time put a bar in the microvave on high for about 10 mins. and it grows about 6 times larger and still works great. :D
  Food tastes like roses for a few weeks though :D

Steve

Thank You Sponsors!