iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Cherry

Started by OneWithWood, April 12, 2003, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I had promised earlier to post some pics of the oak and cherry trees growing from a common stump I found on my property. With a bit of luck the pics will appear below.  The first two are of the trees from the sunny side.  The third is from the shaded side and shows the scars left by the loggers as they used the cherry bole to turn trees.  Sure wished they would have picked another tree.  This is the biggest reason I have decided to harvest my own trees in the future. :( ??? ::) :P :) ;) :D ;D

In case it is not clear the cherry is on the right in the top two pics and on the left in the bottom pick.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

That's neat!

I'd be almost tempted to make a sign and stake it by the tree telling what it is and why it's interesting.  That would blow the mind of someone walking through the woods. :D

SwampDonkey

When I was thinning the plantation this fall I found a couple of fir fusing together at about 4 feet above ground. I cut one off the stump and pulled it away and the cambiums were beginning to graft together They were young trees, but would have been interesting to see them 20 years from now.

Some interesting things in nature, maybe I'm too interested. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

They always saw that opposites attract  :)

Is that logging damage recent?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2007, 11:12:39 PM
They always saw that opposites attract  :)

Is that logging damage recent?

It was in 2003 when this thread was started.  ;D

SD is dredging up old threads. I think he has cabin fever already.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

So, how are the featured pair doing?  Are they still a couple?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

Gonna be a loooooooooong winter eh SD! :D

SwampDonkey

::) Yup, 5 more months.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

They are still a couple.  The cherry is deteriorating at an ever increasing rate.  Every time I go by these trees I think 'of all the trees to skin, he would have to hit this one'  >:(

The trees are still a topic of conversation whenever a group tours the woods. 
One With Wood

ely

personally i would use the cherry for coffee tables before it wasted away, being as how you already have photos of them.
i know where a couple red oaks are that were the nicest ones in the woods before the boneheads drug the logs by them with the skidder. now they will just be lumber.

WDH

Quote from: OneWithWood on November 29, 2007, 09:27:54 AM
The cherry is deteriorating at an ever increasing rate. 

That is what I was worried about  :).

OneWithWood

I will harvest this cherry when I am ready to harvest enough of the others for a kiln load.  It is not going to deteriorate that fast.  I still have a year or so before I lose much more of it.
One With Wood

cuttingman423

i must say  that is something i've never seen before   at least not here in Pennsylvania in my area.

Dave Shepard

OWW, that is a cool pic! I wonder if they are fused together enough to saw out a figured choak crotch slab? :D

Welcome to the Forum, cuttingman423!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

It would be the only Choak crotch slab in circulation, I bet ;D.

Dave Shepard

:D :D OWW could tour all the state fairs and charge $5 a person to see it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

cuttingman423

thank you Dave  glad to be here 

mountaineer

are there many different types of cherry like there is oak? and what are these two? very interesting stuff. thx andy

OneWithWood

The only cherry in my woods is black cherry.  The oak is a black oak.  I have white, chestnut, northern red, scarlet, and black oaks in the woods. 

One With Wood

SwampDonkey

We have black and pin up here that are tree sized, both wild and native trees.

isawlogs

One With Oaks .....  ;D  and choaks  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

:D :D :D

That is good, Marcel ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!