iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Hat Trick

Started by firefighter ontheside, May 02, 2021, 11:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

My son is a soccer player and usually plays defense, but occasionally gets to play mid or even forward.  Tonight the coach put him on forward.  He got 1, then 2 then a third goal.  Hat trick!!!!!  He plays soccer with two different organizations and he had a tournament with the other organization this morning where he also scored a goal, so he had 4 for the day.  

We commonly travel hundreds of miles in a weekend for soccer.  This weekend we were in Marion IL for Saturday.  Spent the night in the camper in Marion and then had 2 more games in Marion this morning.  Then drove the 125 miles back home.  Spent about 90 minutes at home before driving 50 miles to his game tonight.  He loves the game and we enjoy it, especially when he gets to score some goals.  Unfortunately his school doesn't have soccer as a sport, so he will not get to play in highschool unless something changes.  Highschool is fast approaching as he's in 8th grade now.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

dougtrr2

Have you approached the local school district about bringing in soccer?  Our soccer organization did that, and got soccer in the high school.  Our town was a population of under 6,000.  Until we brought it in, the kids were allowed to play soccer on another town's high school team.  But that was a 20 mile drive.

Good luck

Doug in SW IA

mike_belben

Good on ya mom and dad. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

Love every second it will end all too soon. My youngest will graduate  highschool in two weeks. I will miss this part of our lives....Great job to your son as well!!

sawguy21

8) I am glad he has found something he is passionate about. I enjoyed soccer as a kid, it was the only game I could play reasonably well. We had no football program and I was never good enough for basketball or baseball.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

@dougtrr2 oh yeah.  We've tried everything.  My wife has been on the school board the last 2 years and tried to make something happen.  Tried to get other schools to agree to a co-op which would have let my son play for another school.  They won't agree to it because it will bump them up to a higher level and that's not worth it to them to get one good player.  

There is a bill in the state legislature to allow kids to go to school at any school they choose.  If that passes in the next few years, he can go to school at a nearby school that has soccer.  Fingers crossed on that.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

@sawguy21 our school has football and we are terrible at it, but most parents still support it, so I'm sure soccer will never come to fruition.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

although I don't like soccer to watch, it's fun to play though. it fills in a sport for kids that are very athletic, yet not huge to play football on other levels beyond high school. It wood've been great for me and my brother if it wood've been available to us. While we were really good at football (we won 4 state championships), we were too small to play football in college. 

Congrats to your son for being good at it and congrats to you guys for being very supportive parents. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

firefighter ontheside

@Sedgehammer you're right about the size issue.  My son is very athletic, but has always been small for his age and football would not have been a good idea.  Recently he has grown a lot and is average or better size for his age.  Its nice to see him play soccer and not be knocked around by the bigger players.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 05, 2021, 08:19:32 AM
@Sedgehammer you're right about the size issue.  My son is very athletic, but has always been small for his age and football would not have been a good idea.  Recently he has grown a lot and is average or better size for his age.  Its nice to see him play soccer and not be knocked around by the bigger players.
same for my 3rd son. he was small through high school until his senior year. he decided to try wrestling his final year and then walked on at the OU wrestling program.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!