iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hammer and anvil for tuning

Started by Michigan Mike, March 05, 2006, 06:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Mike

Question??  Last year (before I knew about this forum) my Dad donated my Grandfathers hammer and anvil that Grandad used to tune sawmill blades. Dad is now filling out  his infernal revenue forms and wonders what value to put on it for donation purposes.These tools  probaly date from the  early 1900'swhen Grandad and his brother ran a mill in the  Mille Lacs area  in MInnesota. Sorry I dont have any pictures. The tools were donated to the White pine museum in Ludington Mi. I realize without pictures you guys dont have a lot to go on but would appreciate thoughts ideas or WAGs anyone might have.

Chris Burchfield

I spent $2.50 a pound for an eighty year 125 lb. old swiss made blacksmith anvil. I know the blade anvil weighs a lot less. Don't know if anyone at the ABANA (American Blacksmith Association of North America) could help, but you might look em up and ask. Hope this helps. :-\
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Michigan Mike

Thanks for the info Chris.  This anvil probably weighs in the 25 to 35  lb  range .  I never saw Granddad  hammer a blade so I dont know the mechanics of how it was is ? done. I wondered if it was done whith the blade on the saw.  Maybe one guy holding the anvil and one hammering.? I willl check the ABNA but suspect this is outside of their area of expertise as I belive this anvil  and hammer are a set specificallly for saw tuning.

Jeff

Call Menominee saw to the left. Ask for Peach. Tell him Jeff from the Forestry Forum sent you. He can tell you exactly what you had and what the possible value was. I have a good idea, but let the expert tell you. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Michigan Mike

Thanks Jeff I will do that.  I  wish I had know about this forum when Dad was looking for a place for Grandads tools. It is nice they are in a place we belive will take care of them and display them.  But they were working tools and it would be nice to display them to an audience that have some understanding of their actual usage. Thanks again.

twoodward15

let us know if you don't mind, when you get some info!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Michigan Mike

Just finished talking to Peach at Menominee Saw. What a nice guy and just  full of information. Turns out that the anvil and hammer are probably worth somewhere around  1500 to 1800 dollars :o. I called my Dad and he was just tickled pink. THanks  for the reference Jeff

beenthere

MI Mike
You can modify your 'last' post by going to it, and clicking on 'modify'. Also you can delete posts, which I will do to this one following your change to 'vice'.  :)  Modifying posts rather than 'adding' another saves space and reading.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!