iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: 12vdc gearmotor

Started by D._Frederick, November 14, 2003, 03:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Woody,
I would like to know more about your vertical band mill, like the sizes of the wheels and the band, hp to run, size that can be sawn, & etc. Do you have any pictures?

smwwoody

Ok

Where can a get a slow powerful 12vdc gearmotor free or cheep to run my set works

Thanks

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

cluckerplucker

get a ford power window moter c  ir .1975 to1986   cecil
cecil

PA

The old 8-10' satellite dish adjusters are powered by a small 12 volt gear motor that runs a screw to move the dish.. I've seen the gearmotor operate a dump bed on an EzGo golf cart, so it should be pretty stout. The big dishes are pretty much junk now, so they are reasonable priced used at dish shops.. I'm planning to use it to  raise and lower my Linn Lumber saw head project .. I should know in a couple weeks if it works..Also-- I just read an article in the Cooks Saw newsletter where a guy adapted a Toyota starter and fly wheel flexplate to raise and lower his  sawhead..You might contact him through Cooks. They have a good supply of parts --Roller chains and gears and bearings etc, that you might find helpfull changing your mill around..They also have a tape showing the operation of one of their automatic 50 hp saws that is fun to gollyGeeWhiz over.. It makes my little low buck 8HP Linn saw project look really lame--till I got to the $30K pricetag..

Later
PA

solidwoods

Grainger has a nice choice Item #'s
1L469  Through 1L474
$250

JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

raycon

Starter motor and a timing belt setup seems like a good starting point.
Lot of stuff..

duke401

atv winch 2500 lb. works good need to use limit switchs
duke

pappy

smwwoody,
Try this site, they got all kinds of stuff fer fabricating  8)

https://www.surpluscenter.com/

the link works now --- sorry

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

sawyerkirk

Have you thought about the gear ratio? I have often thought about putting one on my lt25, but that's as far as I got!!

rebocardo

A Ford power window motor for anything 1996 and under would be good. They come with a sprocket that a regular chain would fit. Tailgate motors from fullsize Broncos are nice.

robotguy

WOODY,,  i build robotics, & use 12 v dc extensivly, if you can post a more specific criteria , ( exactly what do you want to do  with it ,, specificly) i probably can help,  i have dozens of 12 v d,c motors  ( gear  worm. screw, ect,ect, ) drive motors  in my *selection* do you need to *encode* the motor / positon ( know the location at all times)  and if so do you want to be able to automaticly & repetivly be able to re-produce that same specific setting ( height  ??? (( and width)) ??? )    p.s.  auto dealerships  replace this type of  motors (warantty & such ) regularly (i think i just reviel'd my source !!!! )   specificly  power seat motors, if one is bad they replace the entire assy ( leaves several good drive motors & mechanisms,)  & may be a starting spot .. contact the service advisor  @ one & ask if you can go thru the * junk pile*  ( also great place for other interesting/usable  parts, ) or ask if they will set aside any such motors & you can come by once a week or so & get then ,, its *junk* to them  but  possably useful for you,,  ( any *s.u.v.*  power seat motor assy usually has an *encoder* either built in or as a *snap-on* attachment , these are the best, but others will do,  hope this helps.
best of luck. robotguy

p.s.  check this out,  darpa grandchallange  (robot race) next year  from  los angeles to las vegas  over 280 miles in the winter!!!  ( i'll be there)  

solidwoods

Robotguy
Would you make a recommendation for a mill up-grade for a mill?
And I'm sure your answer will run the "read" #'s up to the roof.

This is to be used as a setwork,  so very simple linear detection (rugged detector), simple software features to go to programmed position, repeated increments etc for an up/dwn sawmill action.  A milling machinists type system would be fine also.
The sys. uses a 12vdc gear motor grainger #1L469 full load amp 9.0 @12vdc.  Or recommend another comprable motor that works better with the controller.
Travel-   Any common lengths up to say 30", even though 20" would be fine.
JIM

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

smwwoody

thanks for all your help guys.

I'll tell you a little more about what I am doing.

My setworks is alot differnt than what most of you use.  I have a vertical band and the log runs on a carrage like a circle mill.  my setworks works similar to most old hand set circle mills except there is no indexing.  The lever is conected to a 1" shaft via a homemade ratchet and on this shaft there are 4 pinion gears that set in four rack gears that are mounted solid to the carrage  the shaft is mounted to the back of my knees with four pillow blocks so you pull the lever to you and the knees move to you pushing the log to you or the band.

to reverse this you have to unlock the ratchet and manualy push the cant back.  

I want to replace the lever with a reversing and indexing motor

thanks

Woody  
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC