grain

Started by bad_boards, August 28, 2006, 09:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad_boards

this is still sap wood , and taken from a 20 inch diameter limb

bad_boards

one more pic , not as clear

metalspinner

That is beautiful stuff.  All the sycamore I've been able to get has sat around to long and suffers from brash failure.  :(   Yours looks fresh.  Make sure you stack it right away with plenty of weight. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Nice lookin' sycamore there B.B.

Like Metalspinner said....make sure ya weight it down ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

bad_boards

cut tons of syp

sooooooooooo this sycamore is flipping me out!!!!

wow!!!!!

these are 18 inch wide boards

solodan

BB,  What do you plan to do with it. some of the most beautiful flooring I have ever seen was California Sycamore. It makes real nice butcher blocks as well.

bad_boards

was thinging kitchen cabs
ifin i get a real real nice slab, maybe a few guitars

bad_boards

this stuff is still from upperstory and limbs,

cant wait to chew into the trunk

Left Coast Chris

Beautiful boards :o   !!    Are they flat sawn or quarter sawn?   I have quarter sawn white oak that has similar striping.......beautiful.    The limb wood has internal stress due to compresion and tension wood in the same piece......... drying without major movement could be a real trick.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

bad_boards

the 1st pics is the 2nd slab after the 1st flat cut. i cut a 4 inch slab then resaw`d it on my table saw to get vertical grain. the center of that 4 inch slab was quatered.

the wider boards were bout the next 5 -6 cuts, flat saw`n to make those wide boards with vertical grain , left me with a 4 inch slab on the mill that i resaw`s like before.

really just wanted to see what that limb had in it.  as it is now its its stacked and sticker`d and got a nice honey color.

got a 5 gal pail of end coat, and sent my bouy out to seal up the biggens

Thank You Sponsors!