iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buck deer gored a man to death in New Brunswick

Started by SwampDonkey, October 12, 2011, 04:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

A deer farmer in New Brunswick has apparently been killed by an animal in his herd, police say.

The 55-year-old man was found with multiple antler wounds Sunday evening inside his enclosed field in Saint-Léonard, NB.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/10/11/ns-farmer-killed-deer.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

That happened here a few years ago.  He had a "pet" buck in a pen.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Folks never understand there is no such thing as a "pet" deer, or any other wild critter.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

I agry with you there Tex  ;D  I never could understand those that caught a young wild cute animal and brought them into there homes.  ::) 
  There are a few deer farms not too far from me, during the rut ( fall of the year) One should be very carefull how he enters the coumpound, also know of a bison farm and they only enter with the tractor, even then Tatanka was feared and respected.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

The family had the little caged/fenced herd destroyed this week.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

My wife's oldest sister is one of those that hand feeds wild deer and other animals. I've begged her to stop, told her what may happen, even the local conservation agent came by and spoke with her and other neighbors that there were bear in the area and do not feed any animals.

Some folks become attached, thinking they are providers for the wild critters, even become obsessive and tend to compete with their neighbors in 'numbers'....the feed bill.....you would not believe. :-X

SwampDonkey

Too much Walt Disney and "The Yearling" type movies.

thecfarm

A few months back a farm hand lost his life to a bull cow the next town over form me. He did not call for help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Wild critters are wild, I won't argue, but my dad seems to love every animal on his place, until they cross him they're welcome there.  He's made a living with animals his entire life so don't take that wrong, he definitely knows how nature works, but this summer he even surprised the heck out of me.  He had 3 coyote pups living in the treeline about 70 yards from the house, and yes they are fun to watch but he also has a lot of cats around too.  In July we started drying up so he was putting water out for the pups at the end of the trees  :-\.  So far only 1 has stuck around and we see it almost daily, 1 went down the road a mile or so, and don't know what happened to the third, but just wait until the one around home finds out how good his cats taste, I bet he won't give it water anymore ;).  Just a funny little ending, our neighbor drove by one day when they were out on the road and told dad they were gone before he could get the gun out, that's when dad told him he'd been taking water to them  :D.

SwampDonkey

The guy didn't have a permit to have those deer and section 90 of the Fish and Wildlife Act says one is required.

Follow-up story here:

Deer Euthanized

One guy claims he didn't need a permit to have live deer. I dunno. ::)

Fish and Wildlife Act NB

90(1) Subject to and in accordance with the regulations, the Minister may issue a permit authorizing
(a) a person to capture or obtain any wildlife and to keep it in captivity within the Province,
(b) a person who is the holder of a permit issued under paragraph (a), to export out of the Province any wildlife kept in captivity by the person,
(c) a person who is the holder of a permit issued under paragraph (a), to release from captivity any wildlife kept in captivity by the person,
(d) a person to take, capture or kill any wildlife, or to keep any wildlife that has been accidentally killed, for preservation as specimens of natural history or for scientific investigation, or
(e) a person to keep any wildlife that has been accidentally killed, for preservation as specimens for personal enjoyment.

Regulations

D Hagens

A German lady on the Gulf Islands had a deer farm just down the road from my cabin. I asked her why the 8ft fences? She told me if they were lower the deer would jump em!
Farm deer are mean when they want to be and can do some real damage to the shelters that she had there.

SwampDonkey

I remember at Woolastook Park, they had a caged buck and doe. That darn buck would charge and ram the fence if it was in a bad mood.  ;)

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 18, 2011, 04:15:20 AM
I remember at Woolastook Park, they had a caged buck and doe. That darn buck would charge and ram the fence if it was in a bad mood.  ;)

Sounds like my wife........thank the good lord it's only once a month...... :D

SwampDonkey

Minister of Natural Resources is doing a crack down on illegal deer farms. He says none of them have a license to operate, has no idea how many there are and until recently never knew any existed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2011/10/20/nb-northrup-investigate-illegal-deer-operations.html

Thank You Sponsors!