iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8x8?

Started by Paul_H, April 04, 2002, 10:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

I am in the process of  buying a Mobile Dimension 127,I won't take possesion  till the snow is gone(another week?).Question is, I've received an order for 8"x8"s and wondering will it cut them?
I,m a logger by trade,and what I know about milling wouldn't write a big book. :PBut i've read a lot of interesting threads here and would appreciate any help.

Thankyou-
                 Paul
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Steve

Paul

The edger capacity of a 127 is 7 1/4"so the only efficient way to make 8x8's would be to retrofit the mill with a longer mainshaft and  larger edger blade. It is not at all hard to install but the cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $900 for a new edger blade and mainshaft from MD. Otherwise you could make one 8 x 8 out of each log by rolling the piece, but that is very time consuming.

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Frank_Pender

Paul, I just called MobileMfg. and talked with them about the conversion.  It would be close to $2,000 and whole bunches of things to change besides the shaft.  They also thought that you clould have trouble pulling through some species of wood with the less powered unit than the 128 model like mine.  Like Steve indicated the best way for you would be to roll the log to make your 8 x 8's.  I would also suggest that you use the smaller logs in order to get your 8 x 8"s, like I recently did on a small order.  In my case the buyer was not picky as to the amount of wane or precision of squareness of each piece.  theywere for a underpining for a bridge with a flat car  for the main driving surface.  
Frank Pender

Steve

Paul

Sorry for the bum steer on the price of converting your mill. About a year ago I changed one from Model 128 to Model 129 for about what I said and a half days work. For some reason it must be quite different for your model. I changed the edger belts while I was at it.
I'd try and see if the customer can use 7" square, if you have big logs or lots of pieces to mill.
I recently cut 8, I think it was, Mano veneer flitches. They were all at least 9 x 9" square. I find that EVERYTHING has to be just right to cut these kinds of beams. Lead and sharp teeth especially.

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Paul_H

Thanks for the fast responses.Another question,if I used smaller logs ,would they be acceptable as beams,with the heart?It is for a post&beam barn.I could farm it out to a Lucas mill,but I'm itchin to start learning on my own mill.

I went over to ole Andy's today to see if the snow is gone,still 14" of hard packed :'( so I guess I'll have to keep itchin

Paul
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!