iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perka building construction begins

Started by grweldon, June 12, 2015, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

:o  What to say??  Even your pictures are smiling.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2015, 09:10:25 PM
Whoa!  That thing will be huge.  Just think of all the lumber that you will be able to stack under there.

Danny, it's smaller than Jake's overhead shelter.  I'm only going to be stacking lumber at the overhead-only cover at the 16' open bays at each end.  I think Jake said his was 40 x 100.  This one is 40 x 80.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

justallan1

That's some great progress.
I remember building with my father and at times wishing we had another guy, turns out we got more done with just the two of us. 8)

grweldon

Finally got around to installing some metal.  We made good progress this weekend, getting about 5/6 of the southern side of the roof installed.  We had to figure out the process and get in to the groove on Saturday but made good progress yesterday.  If nothing interferes with next weekend, we might just be able to finish the roof.  It was 95 yesterday, hardly any clouds and we started work about 11:30 and quit about 5. It felt good to have some shade to sit in when taking water breaks...

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

That thing is huge!  I could stack a whack of lumber under there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

It's really not that big Danny.  It's actually 20' shorter than the cover where Jake keeps his mill.  Same width.  Also, you have to remember, I'm enclosing only the inside 3 bays.  The 16' bays on each side will be left open with just overhead cover.

As other's have been saying, it is apparent to me that it is already too small.  I'm going to build a 16' wide loft at the far end and make 3 rooms, one for storage, one a woodworking shop and the other an office, leaving only a 32' x 40' working space enclosed.

I imagine that in a year or two (after I finish the runway) that I'll be putting a 16' wide by 48' foot long lean-to on one side, maybe even followed shortly by the same on the other side.  Of course that's if my life circumstances don't change, but they always have.

Here's a shot showing my tractor in her first night under cover.  It puts things in better perspective...

Gadrock

Building is looking really nice.
  After a few thousand hours in real airplanes at 3 feet acl (above crop level) I recommend you throw away that ultralite and invest in a real a/c. The survival statistics are much higher.

But I have burried a brother and several friends from real a/c accidents. And I have knowledge of several ultralite related deaths.

I do not fly anymore, but feel certain I could start back if necessary.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

grweldon

Thanks for the comments on the building Gadrock.

Thank You Sponsors!