iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer at the mill?

Started by warren46, September 29, 2014, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: red on September 30, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
Another option is a 3 point hitch forklift attachment

The problem with these is that you have to twist around in the seat to see what you're doing. That can get really tiring after a while, not to mention giving you a stiff neck.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

barbender

One other drawback to skid steers is they are a bear to climb in and out of. But, anyone in good enough shape to be sawing will probably be fine ;)
Too many irons in the fire

red oaks lumber

i don't know what kind of skid steer your refering to, their alot eaiser than climbing up into a loader :) even with my blown knee i get in and out of my skid loader eaiser and with less pain than my loader.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

flyboy16101

Quote from: barbender on October 02, 2014, 01:46:46 PM
One other drawback to skid steers is they are a bear to climb in and out of. But, anyone in good enough shape to be sawing will probably be fine ;)

JCB and Volvo make a single boom skid loader that you get in and out of from the side like a truck.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

barbender

Yes, ROL, I agree they are easier to get into than a front end loader. But not easier than a telehandler, Tractor FEL, or forklift. Maybe my assessment is skewed by the fact that I am 6'5" and 280 pounds ;D
Too many irons in the fire

redprospector

Quote from: Tree Dan on September 30, 2014, 08:30:52 PM

One downside with alot of the big skid steers is it's hard to watch out the back all the time...not like a tractor

I bought a $97 back up camera at WallyWorld and solved that problem. Now I want one on everything.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

oakiemac

My 2 cents would be a big skid steer. Move saw dust, move snow, move gravel, load mill, move stacks of lumber, portable scaffolding, grade drives, pull stuck vehicles out of snow, are all things I do with the Bobcat. For really big logs like >40" I use a 6000lb fork lift but it has to be dry or frozen for me to be able to get the fork lift back to the mill.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!