iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Facts reguarding gas to oil ratios????

Started by martyinmi, November 23, 2013, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootingarts

Quote from: Philbert on December 10, 2013, 07:17:14 PM
I guess I am a Boy Scout: STIHL and Husqvarna tell me 50:1 and that's what I use. I run stock settings, name brand oil, and fresh gas in mostly modern saws.

Anyway, for guys wanting to mix their own accurately, you can buy graduated laboratory measuring cylinders from on line supply stores, or even Amazon. You might find small Pyrex measuring cups at kitchen stores.

I found some 50 ml syringes at a local supply house (pharmacies might have them), and once marked up a bunch of 3 ounce Dixie cups as disposable measuring cups (2.6 oz / gallon @ 50:1).

If you find a container you like and mark it accurately for a one gallon mix, you can use that over and over, or to re-fill those small mix bottles.

Philbert

Good information! To add to that for those of us too lazy to mark our three ounce cups there are many sources for four ounce paper mixing cups with markings on the side. I bought mine from a gunsmith supply but that was just because I was ordering other things there. Cheap enough to use once and toss or they last awhile if you are like me, cheap! Handy for mixing small amounts of epoxy, paint, and such too, my main use for them.

Wish somebody knew if the ester based oils are compatible with the rubber in standard medical syringes. That would be a quick and very accurate measuring tool with almost no clean up behind. I used to get those at the veterinary supply but petroleum products damage the rubber after awhile. I used the irrigating syringes for my precision oilers and to hold my custom grease mix. All that I ever bought had the rubber start breaking down and bonding to the plastic after awhile.

Hu

Philbert

There is a commercially available syringe sold specifically for mixing two-cycle oil by several vendors ('MixMizer'). I assumed guys were looking for improvised options.

Philbert

Al_Smith

Well now it's not like you are mixing rocket fuel or something .4 oz of oil ,gallon of gas,9/10 , 1.1 whatever .So you get about 32 to 1 .Saw runs long .

So if you are among the red oil bunch you only use about an oz and a quarter  per gallon .No smoke ,great ,buy a new saw next week .

I don't know what might happen if you mixed 100 to 1 with another oz of sardine oil .Do you suppose sardine oil is eco friendly ? ;D

shootingarts

Quote from: Philbert on December 10, 2013, 09:37:24 PM
There is a commercially available syringe sold specifically for mixing two-cycle oil by several vendors ('MixMizer'). I assumed guys were looking for improvised options.

Philbert

Thanks! I'm always looking for what is quick and fairly clean. Hadn't heard about the MixMizer or didn't recall. The last time I was mixing a lot of gas and oil was in my boat and it is a lot easier to be fairly precise when mixing 10-20 gallons or more at a time. The only things two-cycle I am running right now are the chainsaws and it doesn't make sense to mix more than a couple gallons at a time. An extra glug in the boat tank wasn't much percentagewise, mixing these small quantities a glug moves me from fifty to forty to one or forty to maybe thirty-two.

Hard to know how the saw is performing if I don't feed it consistently and what the hay, playing with improving it's performance is entertaining. No other toys right now.

Hu

7sleeper

I use a medical 20ml syringe. But I found it a pain to suck up the oil through the small hole so I took out the piston, glued the small opening closed with epoxy and just dump the oil into the large end opening. It has markings up to 25ml so that is what I use for 1 litre(similar to the US quart) making it a 1:40 mix. I fill it up to the top because 1-2ml remain in the syringe after dumping into the gas can. I always mix 1 litre at a time because I use the old 1 litre engine oil plastic bottles for my 2 stroke mix, when I don't need a lot at the moment.

Oliver1655

I have a couple of quart bottles with a built in measuring cup on top similar to this picture I keep re-using.  The screw on cap keeps it clean & prevents it from leaking everywhere.  No I don't try to refill the lower reservoir, just re-use the measuring cup.

John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

AdkStihl

Quote from: AdkStihl on November 25, 2013, 09:23:11 AM

One of the best $5 investments you can make right here  ;)

In case some of you guys skipped page 3
J.Miller Photography

Philbert

Someone asked for alternatives to that  - said it was too big?

Anyway, good to have some options, in case you find yourself stranded out in the woods with a 55 gallon drum of two-cycle mix and only calibrated acorn tops to measure with (p.s. a shot glass is 1 oz, tablespoon is 1/2 oz, teaspoon is 1/6 oz, . . .)

Philbert

Al_Smith

Stingy bar maids only pour you an oz in a shot .Those who want tips give you a little extra . ;)

martyinmi

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 11, 2013, 04:06:13 PM
Stingy bar maids only pour you an oz in a shot .Those who want tips give you a little extra . ;)
Sooooo......If I ask a GOOD barmaid to dump three shots of oil into a gallon of petro it should yield close to my desired 30:1 ratio.....right? ;) :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Well Marty I'd say you would be well oiled to coin an old adage  .I can't however remember a bar maid serving saw gas but I suppose anything is possible .Then again some of that hooch might as well have been oiled gas .

Geeze such a fuss over a little oil in the gas .Everything under the sun to measure the stuff with too .Campbells soup cans ,oil jug lids ,shot glasses ,teaspoons and lest we not forget a hypodermic needle of all things for precision .Too complicated I'll just stick with the little jugs .

shootingarts

Turned out the secret to mixing was in the kitchen cabinet. I found two plastic measuring thingies, pretty much identical. They look like small glasses and measure in ounces and cc's. Shooting at 40:1 it looks like cc's might be handiest. I can't imagine anyone needs two of those glasses.

Just have to write down the numbers I need so I don't forget. I don't do metric conversions in my head. I don't do 'rithmatic in my head either come to think about it. When I'm all out of fingers and toes I'm almost all in.

Hu

sawguy21

That works until the missus goes looking for them. :D Fer cryin out loud, this ain't rocket science. So you mix at 49: or 51.2:1 by mistake it's not a big deal. You are not going to wreck anything unless it's way out of whack. There is considerable fudge factor built into the recommended mix unless you are using Al's snake oil.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Philbert

2.6 ounces per gallon for 50:1

3.2 ounces per gallon for 40:1

4 ounces per gallon for 32:1

Philbert

shootingarts

Quote from: Philbert on December 11, 2013, 11:07:29 PM
2.6 ounces per gallon for 50:1

3.2 ounces per gallon for 40:1

4 ounces per gallon for 32:1

Philbert

Philbert,

I do have those numbers. The only one I have marked on a clear bottle is 2.6 and none of my other measuring stuff measures at three point two or three and a quarter ounces where I want to be at. I did some playing around with numbers and found that cc's and gas in even tenths would put me square on 40:1. 

I don't really know the effects of the other additives besides oil and gas, gonna use up what I have and go to original Stabil and Stabil marine, but I still won't know the effects. I think it reduces octane. The oil supposedly reduces octane too, anything I put in to increase octane adds to the kettle of worms. There is a whole lot of fudging going on even when I mix everything accurately.

Side thing while we are talking, I saw you made a chain vice on the cheap but the pictures are gone the other place. Would you have those pictures anywhere easy for me to access?

Thanks,
Hu

Lanternguy

good thread guys, i have been using a 40-1 on my Echo 450P and MS361 as this is what my shop told me ti use as they tuned my carbs for a richer mix since i cut allot of dry logs.  My smaller saws they said just run the 50-1 as really i only use these for a few smaller cuts but its great to read all the opinions on this. 
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Philbert

2.6 ounces (77 cc) per gallon for 50:1

3.2 ounces  (95 cc) per gallon for 40:1

4 ounces  (118  cc) per gallon for 32:1

Philbert

Updated

AdkStihl

Quote from: Philbert on December 12, 2013, 12:40:24 PM
2.6 ounces (77 cc) per gallon for 50:1

3.2 ounces  (95 cc) per gallon for 40:1

4 ounces  (118  cc) per gallon for 32:1

Philbert

Updated

But my 346 is only 50cc ?
And my 044's are 71cc?
Do you have oil specs for those sizes?

:D
J.Miller Photography

Philbert

Quote from: AdkStihl on December 12, 2013, 01:19:06 PMBut my 346 is only 50cc ?
And my 044's are 71cc?
Do you have oil specs for those sizes?

Well, it sounds kind of messy, but if you wanted to use your jugs for measuring oil that would be up to you.  Just watch out for those transfer ports.

Philbert

Al_Smith

:D 50-40-32 to 1 depending on the displacement ? You guys are getting as nutty as me I think .

On the other hand using that thinking maybe that's were they came up with that 100 to 1 stuff ,micro saws .Funny though back in my days of flying model airplanes on a string they just dripped of castor oil after a run .Go figure .

bandmiller2

Al,with your luck Amsoil will put up a roadside sign across the street from you stating 100/1best mix. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Pshaw they wouldn't have the nerve .If they did though I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut I could crank them up too .Besides that across from my place is an 80 acre soy bean field .That farmer would likely use that sign to patch a hole in his barn roof ,100 to 1 or no .

Speaking of which,field  .They landed a big old hot air balloon in that thing about the time they took off the beans .That thing only cleared the tops of my 100 foot oaks by maybe 10 feet on the descent .I thought they were going to get hung in the tree tops but it worked out okay .

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 14, 2013, 07:40:31 AM
Pshaw they wouldn't have the nerve .If they did though I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut I could crank them up too .Besides that across from my place is an 80 acre soy bean field .That farmer would likely use that sign to patch a hole in his barn roof ,100 to 1 or no .

Speaking of which,field  .They landed a big old hot air balloon in that thing about the time they took off the beans .That thing only cleared the tops of my 100 foot oaks by maybe 10 feet on the descent .I thought they were going to get hung in the tree tops but it worked out okay .

I just found a case and a half of oil my grandpappy used in his hair. Gonna give it a try in the pre-mix, I don't think I can handle the smell running it as bar oil! Gonna start at 40:1 and decide which way to go.

About them balloons, they put one down in the Gulf of Mexico, a bit south of me. A nearby Cajun shrimper fished the balloon out the water for them. Then he looked down at the men in the water. "I got the balloon, what for I want with you?"

Hu

Thank You Sponsors!