iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitting Maul and Splitting Axes

Started by 333_okh, January 20, 2007, 01:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

What type do you use to split the bucked ends etc from the milling.  I used to have a splitting axe but someone ran off with it.  The 12 pounder maul I have is not what I am looking for.  Just wondering your ideas.  My splitting axe was a True Temper.

kderby

I suggest it is all about the repetition.   I have split ,by hand, thousands of fence stays, split rails and firewood rounds.  I have six mauls and a couple sledge hammers.  The heaviest maul in a 12 pound and it is too much.  I actually like the six pounder.  A few extra well placed strokes are very effective.  Getting the maul up in the air during a swing is not bad at all.  Better four strokes with a six than three strokes with a twelve.

Having said that I also have a modified hydraulic splitter that splits four foot bolts. I hope my hand splitting days are over.  My wrists are trashed due to the repeated jolts during splitting...live and learn.   ;D ;D ;D

333_okh

I did find an Ames True Temper 1190400 Super Splitter Wood Splitter-Maul that looks very similar to my old one, but it has a fiberglass handle and costs $50!

how much do you guys usually buy your mauls for?

Rail-O-Matic

For the bes splitting axes and mauls in the world go to www.gransfors.com
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Ron Wenrich

I think a lot depends on what you're splitting.  I bring home pieces of railroad ties.  They are usually cutoffs that have some sort of defect.  The most common defect is a double heart.  Other pieces are heavy pieces with metal or a heavy flare that won't fit into the chipper.

Since the grain is so twisted in many of these pieces, I revert to splitting them with a chainsaw.  It makes for a lot less headaches than trying to mash a piece of wood with either a maul or an axe.  It makes for some stringy sawdust, but that goes onto the mulch pile.

Usually, if you split a tie end in half, you can split it up.  I usually use my 3 lb axe for that.  I also have a splitting maul, but in many cases, that's overkill.

At the mill, we have a big wood stove to hit the shop.  We use mainly the cutoffs from what the veneer buyers don't want.  For those, we use a hydraulic splitter.  Some of the pieces are put onto the splitter with the Prentice loader, so they aren't small pieces. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

333_okh

Went with the Ames True Temper 1190400 Super Splitter Wood Splitter-Maul for its dual purpose of helping out when I am falling timber and driving wedges in the back-cut.

333_okh

Someone must like them, they are back ordered until March.

Thank You Sponsors!