iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homelite 1050

Started by sawthemlogs, November 02, 2015, 08:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

This saw is coming up for auction soon...has 22 inch bar and a 36...I was thinking about it to use as occasional log saw..  It does run...I hoping to get some opinions on it.. anyone out there own one or experience with one? Thanks a bunch..
R.D.

weimedog

Expect it will need all rubber parts replaced. From fuel line to carb kits. Not too awful a task but can be a pita to find parts. Once running they are strong saws. They run at a much lower RPM than a typical modern saw. AND they are pretty heavy. Typically the original bars were hard nose vs. the sprocket tips we have now. On mine, I adapted Stihl brand bars to go with the .404 chain it was set up for. Wasn't hard and actually helped that saw a lot not having to bull through a hard nose bar. AND you better be strong. When setup right assuming good condition mechanically...good compression, good spark, etc...they still require strength to get them fired.... big bore, high compression..etc.

I get a kick out of my 1020 which is essentially the same saw...but not one I could use for a main saw as I think of pain when I think of running that saw vs... say...... a Jonsered 920.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

The reason for the adaptation of Stihl bars is due to the fact they are readily available .Good Homelite and McCulloch bars are not .

I have a Homelite 2100 S which is the bigger brother to the afore mention saw that I run a 36" Stihl bar on. It just takes some spacer washers/bushings  and if done correctly uses the same driver count as it would on a Stihl saw .

Pro grade Homelites were good old saws ,made for torque not blistering RPM's but made to last almost forever and they obviously have .

Thank You Sponsors!