iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ether starting aid

Started by pabarhunter, January 26, 2015, 08:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabarhunter

Hey Guys, I have a quick, maybe dumb question to some of ya. I just bought a '76 JD 440b with an ether starting aid on the dash. Do you just give a squirt up in the nozzle or is there something else you have to do to make it work? I have read countless opinions on the use of ether. For now I must go with JD put it on the machine, and don't abuse it. I absolutely love my skidder. She aint pretty, but the winch works, the engine runs and the tranny is strong. I am a happy man. Thanks for any help, jimmy
You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary. -Jonathan Edwards

Southside

Is it a button on the dash or a hose?  If its a button someplace in the engine bay is a receiver for a ether can with a selenoid on the top, push the button and just the right amount is dispensed.  Personally never seen a hose on the dash so I can't say about that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Have the engine already spinning before you squirt the ether.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pabarhunter

Southside logger,

There is a factory fitting on the dash. It sorta of looks like a small(very)bathroom faucet. I found the parts here on the JD Parts website, http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt. Not a big deal, just wanted to know if there were any tricks to using it. Thanks for your help, jimmy
You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary. -Jonathan Edwards

thenorthman

If I remember correctly (mine is long gone, the ether fitting, and my memory) The fitting is shaped to accept a can of starting fluid, so you basically pull the nozzle off the can and then clip it into the fitting. When needed I think you push up/down on the can while spinning the motor.

For the record is she don't actually need ether to start, don't use any, it can and will cause some serious damage to the engine, even if she does need some it only takes a teeny tiny spritz.

The B's are a little newer then mine but I don't think they have glow plugs either, mine starts all the way down into the single digits without an issue (unless the battery is dead...) the few times I've tried ether its been more of a bad idea then good, usually just stalls the engine on the compression stroke... (predetonation, read very bad... very very bad).  So having done that I try to avoid it.  But I'll poor on the ether in the ole 7.3 ferd (cruddy glow plugs...)
well that didn't work

mad murdock

If you want to stay a happy man, don't use ether if you don't need it.  It will ruin your engine. Like Magicman says, if you do need it, a tiny sniff after the engine is already spinning.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

snowstorm

you take the little sprayer off the can then push the can up for only a second while cranking the motor. the steel line goes into the intake manifold and there is a spray tip there. sometimes it will plug and needs to be cleaned

David-L

Had a 440B once and I would turn the screw on the pump in and it will spin the motor over quicker as you are not pushing heavy hyd fluid. It somehow disconnects the pump from working and I did this when it was only really cold. mine always started without either if the batteries were up to snuff with the pump disconnect in. I actually made a hinged door on my front screen on that machine as to not undo the screen every time you did the pump. get it running and screw out the tab slowly and let it warm up. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

coxy

I said in another post you guy must be using different ether than me cause iv used it 30 years on every thing 2stroke and 4stroke  and never had any trouble works good for cleaning air filters on chain saw to  :D :D :D

Maine logger88

I agree I don't use it when I don't have to but I believe rather than cranking an engine over and over for long periods of time it's easier on them just to give them a small shot and be running. The best method is with some sort of preheater but when that's not available either will not hurt a motor when used in moderation
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

jocco

Quote from: coxy on January 27, 2015, 03:09:49 PM
I said in another post you guy must be using different ether than me cause iv used it 30 years on every thing 2stroke and 4stroke  and never had any trouble works good for cleaning air filters on chain saw to  :D :D :D

Yes coxy there are different grades and types of starting fluid!!!  Also some seemed no good at all Some does not work (spray)well in the cold. And I think the GOV has some regs  on it now too. As people seem to use it to make stuff there not supposed to!!! :o
You may check out but you will never leave

coxy

Quote from: jocco on January 27, 2015, 05:55:13 PM
Quote from: coxy on January 27, 2015, 03:09:49 PM

Yes coxy there are different grades and types of starting fluid!!!  Also some seemed no good at all Some does not work (spray)well in the cold. And I think the GOV has some regs  on it now too. As people seem to use it to make stuff there not supposed to!!! :o
:D :D :D :D 8) true

ehp

I use ether any time I need it and I have never had a problem and my motors last as long or longer than the rest , big thing in the cold is to give the motor a chance to warm up before driving it like its a race car like I see so many guys do . Its not as cold where I'm logging now but up where I was logging we use to buy ether by the cases with around 5 cases a winter to get everything started , I did 99% of all the engine rebuilds and never had any trouble from guys breaking pistons or bending rods , I always use kleen-flo and I'm not saying its great but I have had zero trouble and the machines alway start

timberjackrob

Always used it on older equipment that didn't have glow plugs or manifold heater never had a problem like others have said use it sparingly and have the motor spinning.Having good battires and cables and a strong starter motor will reduce the need to use it
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

John Woodworth

I love either, buy it by the case, the only thing I use it for is parts cleaning, cleans good and drys without a film.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!