iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thrown Cord

Started by Corley5, November 23, 2005, 11:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btd

Good to know 180 cubic feet keeps people happy!

Corley5

In the eleven years since I started this thread I have stacked loads.  Mostly at our measured roadside camp wood racks.  180 works but for a good measure I do 190 and have for a long time.  No one complains about short loads and some clients have told me I give a "good load" 8)  The main thing when filling a truck or trailer loose for sale is to make sure the corners fill well.  Sometimes they'll bridge and there will be larger air spaces than there should be.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sixacresand

During my short part time career in pulp wooding, when the old  truck was full, the pulp wood yard never counted it as a full 1 1/2 load because of various reasons.  The only fair method is by weight IMO.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Corley5

Wood weighs different at different times of the year especially if selling green wood.  Different species weigh different both green and seasoned.  The amount of seasoning time will change the weight.  Not everyone has a scale and it's not worth it to make an out of the way trip to weigh a load.  Educating the firewood consumer about buying by weight instead of volume would be aggravating  ;) ;D 

SwampDonkey

Yup and depending on where your operating and selling wood. Up here it is cords and part of a cord by law. Trailer load or truck bed load won't fly.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JJ

I buy 6 cord processed each year, of what my FW dealer called boiler stock (20" long, with one of the splitting blades removed).  I always measure what I have after stacking, and only once have I had to call him to tell he was short by 3/4 cord.

He delivered another cord to make-up, and I bought another for a full 2 cord load (truck holds 2 cord).   The owner delivered it himself, and apologized as he told his guys to make sure to mound over the load with boiler stock.

This is his 2 cord truck, stuck in my yard:

GRANITEstateMP

As Corley said, air pockets in the corner of the trailer will get ya every time!  If we've got an extra set up hands, somebody will use a 5 tined rake and help fill the sides and corners, usually the same person that moves the truck and trailer forward as we fill it...

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

Two people processing wood works good 8)  One stays on the processer.  The other's main job is to keep logs on the machine.  When that need is met he keeps track of how the wood is loading, moves the truck as needed, and keeps the sawdust and debris under control. 

GRANITEstateMP

Corely, my magic number is 3 people.  BUT, I don't have my live deck rigged / hooked up yet.  My processor has a lift (one log at a time)but just a homemade brow.  Picture might help.  I try and stay at the processor, one person trims up logs / knots, and rolls logs on the brow to the lift, the other person keeps the splitter clear, helps with re-splits, rakes the trailer, moves the truck, and helps with lifting the log onto the processor (this person gets a good workout).  All the controls are run from my station, so my head is on a swivel most of the time!

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Corley5

A live deck makes it easier 8)  This 14-12 Block Buster was the 2nd one made with a live deck.  The first went to NY State.

GRANITEstateMP

I've got a deck off of a CRD that needs to be "engineered" onto mine...  Hope to do that this winter.  Would eliminate soooo much hassle! 

I like your setup Corley, really like the conveyor.  Mine is belt driven off the pto, and when I'm really cranking the weight can cause the belt to slip and plug up the operation.  Really notice it when I'm doing 22in long wood, that adds enough extra weight.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!