iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Log Turner on WM LT40 Super

Started by JoeyLowe, March 31, 2002, 12:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

:-[

As of late my hydraulic log turner is acting up.  After I have loaded a log, occassionally the log turner will grab to far underneath the log and instead of rolling the log, the log turner will lift the log.  Sometimes the log turner will almost push the log over the dogs instead of just rolling the log.  Doesn't matter what size of log either.  Is this a technique problem or is there a possible problem with the turner itself?
Most of the time the turner works great.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tom

The only time I have experienced this problem is when the log is a small one 8" or less or is crooked and has a sweep in it that allows the turner to get underneath.  It happens so seldom that I have never tried to devise a fix, I just get the cant hook and turn the log.  Technology is fine when it works but don't forget that your speed may be diminished by something that doesn't work.  If the turner misses the log, don't mess with it just grab the cant hook.

oh,  Sometimes if you forget to let the toe board down before you turn the log, the turner can get underneath also.

Never turn the log with the toeboards up.  When the log drops it puts too much of a shock on hydraulics etc when there is no need.  On older mills with blade type toeboards, the turning log can actually bend the guides on the toeboard.

JoeyLowe

;D  Well, at least I'm thinking along the right lines.  I have been grabbing the cant hook and using it to turn the log.  Like I said, most of the time the log turner works as advertised.  Just seems that sometimes, no matter what size the log, the turner doesn't grab in the right place.  What is frustrating is when the log turner grabs the log like it is going to turn it, but instead lifts it a little and then the log teeters to one side and jumps the dogs. (I've had this happen) :o  Then you can't lower the hydraulic dog to get the log back onto the mill. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tom

Hmmmm I'll have to cogitate on this a little Kingfish.

Bibbyman

I think this is a limitation of the log turner.  I've fond about 8" the minimum it will turn without trying to push it over the top.  On the newer mills with two plane clamp,  you can use the clamp to pull the cant out and push it over.  Or just use the clamp to pull the cant out and then use the turner to turn it.  Also,  the new roller wheels on the top of the backstop helps.

If you've got one of the older mills without the rollers on top of the backstops and with the old flip-up/flip-down clamps,  then you'll have to push the cant out 4"-6" got get the log or cant within range of the turner.  

If you've got a big and/or rough log, and don't have the rollers on the backstops, then you may try backstop extensions. I wrote a little deal back some time ago with a picture under the Sawmills and Milling thread called "Handy things around the mill".

This may link you to it.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill&action=display&num=994012887&start=0
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JoeyLowe

8)  Called Woodmizer and described problem to them.  Most likely culprit: Frozen dog rollers.  Ordered new dog rollers and will give it a try.  Also found out that if I wanted to change the bent loader foot, it's under $300.00.  Boy was I surprized at that. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

Thank You Sponsors!