iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My bar is not getting any oil

Started by eldorado, September 07, 2005, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldorado

I've been clearing trees from the road behind my house for the past week and I noticed today that no oil is getting to my bar.  Bar oil is leaking out the back of the saw by the choke.
It's a Stihl 031.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe 

Kevin

The first thing is to make sure the bar is clean and the holes aren't plugged with saw dust.
Make sure the bar hole lines up with hole in the saw  when the chain is on the bar and adjusted for tension.

eldorado

I cleaned it real good this morning and it worked great all day.....but after a 10 hour day of cutting storm wood behind the house it's not wanting to run.....it just petered out.  I think it just needs to rest overnight...old age is finally creeping up on him.   That saw has been used and abused for 32 years and is just now having problems.
Now I have an excuse to buy a new saw.   ;D   

Frickman

eldorado,

A quick method I use to check out a saw's oiler is to remove the bar, chain, and side cover and run the saw a few seconds. You should see the oil run out of the saw in the appropriate place. If it does start looking at the bar. If not look at the oil pump.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Kevin

It might help to flush the oil tank .
What type of oil are you using?

Thank You Sponsors!