iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Chainsaw story, If I only knew!

Started by theboman, March 27, 2009, 08:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theboman

My dad died a few years ago, he owned the chainsaw. My brother uses it the most and he was in off to the beach for two weeks.

June 2008. While camping at a bluegrass festival 20 miles from home a strom blows thru and my moms yard, and at that time my home was behind hers and I kept the 5er parked in her yard, which is a wreck with twisted trees down everywhere. I know a mini tornado came down the road.

I go home and the chainsaw is locked in my brothers garage. I can't get the 37' 5er in the yard because of all those trees. Off to Lowes to get a chainsaw.

$140 later I have a Poulan 3516 in my hand and headin' home. My wife, her family cut wood for years and sold as timber and firewood after the hugh ice storm of a few years earlier.   She kinda questiond the Poulan and how good of chainsaw they make..then her family kinda sided with her. 

I pleaded my case. It's not like we'll cut a load of firewood a week, we'd use the chainsaw 2-3 times a year at the max! So gettin' a Sthil or Husky for an additional $100 didn't make a bit of CENTS!  The then sided with me.

September/October 2008 things have happened and my wife and I bought us 5.11 acres that's nothing but trees! The Poulan has cut and cut trees, saplings, brush, stumps and too much dirt :)  We have a pile of trees and stacks of firewood (and no fireplace in our home). I estimate 4-5 gallons of gas has went thru the Poulan and it's not had the first hint of trouble. I later found it had nice reviews.  I told my wife had I known in June that we'd be buying the land I'd got a more expensive and bigger chainsaw.

I must admit I have been wowed by the Poulan's performace and for the price...it's been a great investment.

567paloggger

ill sell you another poulan its a 14inch woodshark runs great not used very much chain is sharp also have another brand new chain for it 40 dollars takes it

beenthere

theboman

I just think you know how to take care of a chainsaw.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

I have an old piece of junk poulan that I keep in the pickup most of winter, just in case a road gets blocked or something. No-one seems inclined to steal it, that's the only reason I started to throw this particular one in, but it runs fine and cuts pretty good. Like you, I underrated it a little. When there's any real work to be done though, I grab a better saw. ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sawmilllawyer

I went out in the rain this evening, we are expecting 5" to 7" of snow, with my Poulan 2150, bought eleven years ago and had to cut enough dried wood for a few days. No, it is not a Stihl or Husky but for what it cost and the work it has done, that saw don't owe me anything. I personally have changed out the drive sprocket, chain oil pump, the fuel lines and filters and replaced the top handle. I do replace the sparkplug every year and do keep a sharp chain and use good gas and lube, but for what it is I have been impressed with that little saw. And before someone starts with pro this or pro that, I do own and regularly use my pro grade Stihls. Like you I under estimated the saw or I musta got one built on the right day of the week.   
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

StihlTheOne

Glad you got your money's worth out of that saw. But all things considered, sounds like you now have a heckofexcuse to go out and buy a new Stihl! I'd jump on the opportunity.

theboman

Like go get another Sthil product (got a great trimmer), but need to sale a few homes and get some paychecks.  Got a saw miller coming next month to cut my logs into boards, and then the daughter's gettin' a big play gym thingy.... But I know I have the wife's blessings to get me a bigger/better chainsaw... But, once again, no complaints on the Poulan, it's done everything I've asked it too.

sablatnic

You are right. There is no need to buy a nail gun if a hammer can do the job. ;-)
And I drive a Skoda although I know, that a Mercedes is a much better car. :-D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!