iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My 660 died - has anyone rebuilt one of these? dealer wants $500 to fix

Started by Dalden, November 02, 2009, 09:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

With a 20" an 066/660 should be able to cut if the chain was on backwards .

IMO this is the smallest saw I would even consider to mill with .Since they came out with the "Alaska" type milling guides  there has been unnumerable saws cooked from running them .A majority of those saw were in fact 066's .

Milling is tough on the saws .Milling is an option to salvage wood and some enjoy it .

If it were I ,which it's not I'd find a big old reed valve Mac ,Homelite ,Pioneer ,076 Sthl or something that has some grunt . At least 100 cc's .These things can take much more abuse than an 066 . I see no sense in burning up an 1100 dollar saw when a cheaper option could be used .Save the 66 for what it was built for, a darned good faller /bucker .

Tom

Y'all  'scuse me, but I almost get a heart attack every time I read the title of this thread on the Forum.  To prolong my worthy life, I'm going to stick a "My" on the front of the thread to keep my heart out of my throat.  ......carry on.  :)

Dalden

Thanks for adding the "my" - I am advised by counsel that my liabilty insurance does not cover inducing corinary problems in others, though the dealer did not seem to mind nearly giving me one.

MY  -   EFCO still running fine even though I milled a bit more with it - Stihl in bits and pieces - but I'll get 'em all put back. I got a service manual from EBAY. 

I wonder - TOM ??  Does the forum have a place where really techy folks could place scanned versions of manuals like that in PDF form for forumites to use?  Idea ?  maybe forum donation to see into that file archive type thing

soory thinking outloud.

My kid just bought a Poulan Pro 54cc to buck my scrap into firewood, now that he has saw dust on him I'll never get him outta here.  Bet he ends up making more $$ then me.  Thanks to the forum advice I'll get him to set his a little rich too!  (the box made a special note that the saw was EPA approved)
1 Landscape trailer w/ home built cutting platform
MS660
EFCO MT8200
Smaller saws and some other stuff.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Quote from: Dalden on November 30, 2009, 11:34:41 PM
I wonder - TOM ??  Does the forum have a place where really techy folks could place scanned versions of manuals like that in PDF form for forumites to use?  Idea ?  maybe forum donation to see into that file archive type thing

soory thinking outloud.

If you do a Google often times you can find the IPL on commercial sites such as parts tree . Others may be contained on certain other web forums but because some sites get a tad fussy about it I won't provide a link .

A few years ago  myself ,Mike Acres ,Lewis Brander ,Magnus ,MacBob and others spent months and months scanning and posting .

With Stihl you can get the operaters manuals on line but for reasons unknown they get a tad cranky about giving out the IPL's or actual tech manuals like it's top secret or something . Typical Stihl . ::)

You might get somebody to scan and send them via regular E-mail but it takes about 6 e-mails to do that because of the size files .

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 01, 2009, 05:37:45 AM

With Stihl you can get the operaters manuals on line but for reasons unknown they get a tad cranky about giving out the IPL's or actual tech manuals like it's top secret or something . Typical Stihl . ::)

I bet you could find it in German. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Copyright is always a question that must be considered.  You, and the forum, could get tied up in long, expensive court battles if Copyrights are abused.

There are places on the forum where stuff, relative to maintenance, could be kept.  One is the forum itself.  You just have to title the thread specifically for that item so that it could be found in search.

If there were no room in the post, then "additional Options", below the Photo Upload statement, will allow certain sizes of documents, like PDF's.  That is what it is for.

You could also provide the information, by either copying a post, or typing your own, and putting it on the "Knowledge Base".  You get to it through Forum Extras at the top of the page., in the banner.

If you use the knowledge base, it's best for the info, or a note saying it is in the knowledge base, to also be in a post so that a search will find it.

Never take copyright lightly.  It is serious law.

Jeff

I doubt if manuals have copyright notices in them but I could be wrong.  Al, have you ever noticed one in any of the manuals you scanned?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Depends on the manual. A user's manual probably not, but a service/repair manual I wouldn't be surprised. My friend's father was a traveling salesman with service manuals and they were not cheap to buy, so I assume someone has copyrights on some at least. And because a manual can be found on Google, doesn't mean it's not copyright. They are treading some thin waters. There has been much discussion over scanning and providing documents online. Google has been kind of sneaking bye, by just displaying parts. Some documents state that copying even parts of them is forbidden without permission. My brother purchased a PDF version of an Elan snow sled repair manual, and they won't touch it at Staples. Staples offers a printing service for files and they won't print it. In Adobe Reader it says it's a "Secured" document. Allows printing, but not content copying or assembling for publication.  He has no printer of his own, so he comes and prints a page or two at my place.

Al_Smith

Actually I never scanned a manual only the IPL's .The only manuals I have and those being tech manuals are Stihl and McCulloch and those are on microfiche and I have no way to copy them as such .
The Homelite stuff is all contained in a large book which covers all models but keep in mind they are all old as the hills .

I wouldn't put at risk some web forum though by posting the IPL for that matter .However as I see it those IPLs are my property because I paid for them ,dearly I might add .If I as a private person want to loan them to someone for no profit what harm is that ?

Now I could see the almighty Stihl making a big fuss if I sold them .The operators manuals I suppose are nice but all things considered really a saw is a saw they all work the same .Nice perhaps to have but not a "must have" but opinions on that may vary as they should . :)

As I typed this I took a peek at my Stihl IPL's which are in a big dealers book about 6 inches thick .I don't see any place is says one thing about copyright unless it's in German .Fact is the one and only manual I have for Stihl,042/048 doesn't say anything either .

joe_indi

This is a part from the introduction of the MS660 workshop manual.
I think the bit I have highlighted could be taken to mean that passing on technical info is not smiled upon by Stihl

Thank You Sponsors!