iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my 440 kicked the bucket

Started by Birchwood Logging, April 01, 2014, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

Got back to the job today from hauling the last load of the day the guys came out of hills my timber cutter came to me and said the saw was weak and loosing power. So I done the drop test it failed it was getting late in the day and the stihl shop would be closed by the time I got there I know the guy there that runs the shop I called him he told me he had a new 461 said he would knock off $100 the sale price and would deliver it right on out to my job. About 45 minutes later he showed up with my new saw tool kit 2 hats mix oil and a jug of bar oil. Now that's service  :) that's why stihl has my business  tax and all it coated $984  8)
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

thecfarm

Dealer support is so important. Sounds like you have a good one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Well for nearly a thousand bucks you should get the red carpet treatment .

Say though you might check the sparkplug on that 441 .They are known to back out for some reason .

Why I have no idea but I've seen two so far and heard of several reports from others on the net .

Al_Smith

Oops ,a thousand pardens ,I see it's a 440 . :embarassed:

Birchwood Logging

I put a after market rebuild kit piston and cylinder in the 440 about 8 months ago ran great for a while but wore out rather quick. What kind of life do you guys see out of the after market cylinder kits?
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

husky2100

coxy

not fond of after market stuff for 2 strokes for the extra money I go oem  jmop

sharkey

I wish more business people thought the way that your Stihl dealer does. 

As for the top end kits, some are better than others.   Weedeaterman has been keeping track of the better parts.  One of the asian makers, Hyway, has been asking for feedback from their customers.  Theyve been rating the kits A-B-C and so on.  The newest nikasil kits are pretty nice from what Ive seen.  Nikasil is a plating process that is more durable than chrome.       

jdhacker

Quote from: thecfarm on April 01, 2014, 07:34:52 PM
Dealer support is so important. Sounds like you have a good one.
Glad you have good support, I had to buy a new saw six months ago, the coil went down, I walked in my stihl dealer. He didnt have one, but went to the rack and tore down a new saw down and sent me on my way. That means everything to me.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

luvmexfood

Gosh you all have some good dealers your way. Several in the area. My saw was giving me trouble this past fall. Called the selling dealer and was told a three week wait time before they could look at the saw. Explained that I was in a bind and had recently lost my job and was logging to survive. There reply was "I hate to hear that". They are now a last resort to get any of my money.

About 3 years ago I went in to the same dealer and purchased several smaller items one of which was an inner tube for a front lawn mower tire. Thought the bill was a little high and when I got home I reviewed it. $25.00 for an inner tube that was $9.50 at a local tire shop.

Will be purchasing a new Stihl or Echo saw soon. Guess who will not be getting my business.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Al_Smith

I've had good luck with Meteor pistons .

So far I've always either been able to save the cylinders or find a used donor so I can't comment on after market cylinders .

The pistons I could save I've used Cabor piston rings which seem to be okay .There's a lot of suppliers which I won't mention because I'm not certain who is a sponsor where .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on April 01, 2014, 08:41:14 PM
I put a after market rebuild kit piston and cylinder in the 440 about 8 months ago ran great for a while but wore out rather quick. What kind of life do you guys see out of the after market cylinder kits?

Sounds to me like you never found the real cause for the OEM top end to fry
J.Miller Photography

NCFarmboy

Quote from: sharkey on April 03, 2014, 06:44:40 AM
I wish more business people thought the way that your Stihl dealer does. 

As for the top end kits, some are better than others.   Weedeaterman has been keeping track of the better parts.  One of the asian makers, Hyway, has been asking for feedback from their customers.  Theyve been rating the kits A-B-C and so on.  The newest nikasil kits are pretty nice from what Ive seen.  Nikasil is a plating process that is more durable than chrome.       
I just bought a Hyway kit for a Husky 359.  I am impressed with the quality.  Plating, chamfer on ports, etc. absolutely beautiful.  I will buy another Hyway kit in a flash.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Thank You Sponsors!