iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Chainsaw is Chirping!

Started by ReggieT, June 20, 2015, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Fired up my Stihl MS390 yesterday just to cut some chunks of cherry & hickory for my smoker.
While in the process of doing so I noticed my saw making some sharp chirping noise about every 25-30 seconds or so. ::)
It performed just fine and actually cranked quicker than normal.

I don't have a clue what is causing this... ???
All I know is I've always maintained it great;"Non-Ethanol fuel, fresh filters, quality bar oil & mix, frequent cleaning & proper storage"...I'm running a 20' bar & RSC chain.
The saw is very low hrs & probably has only cut less than 4 cords of wood total

Any ideas or thoughts? ???
Appreciate it,
Reggie 

LeeB

I'm pretty sure if the guys can answer about a burbling blubbering saw they can figure out about a chirping one.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ReggieT

I certainly hope...else I'm packing it up with a brand new 27' Fiskars splitting axe and selling both of em!!

sablatnic

27'!!!

Chirping, is it when idling only? And you do have oil in your fuel?

LeeB

:D I thought the same thing about the 27'. A man that can use a 27' splitting ax doesn't need a chainsaw.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

so il logger

Could it be something to do with the recoil starter? I have had a husqvarna do the same thing and that was all it was. Hope it is something as simple

ReggieT

Quote from: sablatnic on June 20, 2015, 02:21:11 PM
27'!!!

Chirping, is it when idling only? And you do have oil in your fuel?
27" my bad. It chirps at idle not at full rpm's.
I've about narrowed it down to my clutch...still checking though.

WUDPIRAT

My Makita would whistle if the mix was too lean.
My Son, the dirt bike racer, picked up on the sound and told me to fatten it up.
Being half deaf, I never heard it.

A chirp? Your on your own with that.

beenthere

Don't think I've ever idled mine for 25-30 seconds. May have to give it a try and see what sound it makes.
I'm wondering if it is the rim sprocket which seems to have some looseness to it.. at least did on my MS361.

But no good way to interpret what a "chirping" sound is that you hear. Best I can imagine is similar to a robin. Brief, like a turkey putting ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

The clutch - try greasing the washer outside of the sprocket, has cured the problem more often then not. Could be the bearing, but most likely the washer.

celliott

Sounds like a "jingler".
Clutch drum, bearing, rim sprocket, e-clip, something in there.
Does it do it with the brake off and on, or one or the other?
I've heard lots of saws that "jingle" or "chirp" at idle.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

lumberjack48

Turn the idle screw out, i think its idling a little to fast causing the clutch to just about in gauge.   
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ReggieT

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 22, 2015, 04:41:09 PM
Turn the idle screw out, i think its idling a little to fast causing the clutch to just about in gauge.
Lumberjack...I think you "done done it" as my Hillbilly neighbor use to say! :D :laugh:
Sounds like the problem...I'm on it tighter than saliva on a baby! :laugh:

Thanks,
Reg

Maine372

I had a husqy 346 that was making a chirp, almost a whistle. wouldn't idle and started to really tach up when it would run. two cylinder bolts had loosened and were causing an air leak. might be worth checking before you scorch a piston.

joe_indi

Maine372, suggestion is very important. I have seen many saws with loose cylinder screws that make the chirp.
Here, I would first check if the clutch drum needle is dry-running on the crankshaft. If yes, the irreparable damage happens to the crankshaft.

pwheel

Quote from: ReggieT on June 20, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
...It chirps at idle not at full rpm's.
I've about narrowed it down to my clutch...still checking though.

My new-to-me MS261 was doing that. Turned out to be the clutch shoes that weren't quite worn in. Fixed it by throttling up and engaging the chain brake a few times. YMMV. Also, the clutch bearing needs to be cleaned and lubricated a lot more often than you think.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

Thank You Sponsors!