iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My 066 eats spark plugs

Started by Scott03, October 20, 2016, 10:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott03

Lately, my old Stihl 066 has been acting up.  After checking fuel-related stuff - filter, carb settings, etc. - to no avail, I tried changing the plug.  It started right up and ran fine.  But only for just a few tanks of gas:  It quit again, and a new plug fixed it again.

Yesterday, with the new plug installed, the saw ran about 2/3 of the way through the tank before quitting once again.  With still another new plug, it ran again and I finished the day's work, but by the end of that same tank of gas the saw was idling bad and acting like it wanted to quit again.

Each plug that fails has minor black deposits, so I guess that means it's running rich, but they're not fouled and the gaps look normal.  They look pretty much like what they are:  new plugs.  Except they're dead.

Anybody have any ideas?  I'd like to fix it myself, if I can.

joe_indi

Try running it with the switch wire (thin black)disconnected from the ignition coil.
Also check if the spring in the spark plug boot is worn out (loose contact)

Scott03

Thanks, will try the first one.  I did think of checking the spring in the boot, and it seemed OK, but will check it again.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Scott03

I thought of that, too, but doesn't it seem more logical that a plug would fail from too much voltage?  It does seem like it would get weaker as it fails, though.  But whether too weak or too strong, I don't know how to test the coil anyway, or the plugs for that matter.  So, it's either swap in a new coil and see what happens, or take it to the shop and let them sort it out.

Thanks! 

HuckFin

Try checking the sparkplug for spark when cold, then rechecking when hot.

Scott03

OK.  What I'd like to understand is what is causing so many brand-new plugs to fail, or become intermittent, so quickly.

Thanks.

Al_Smith

You must have gremlins or something . :o I've never had a spark plug actually fail in a chainsaw .

thecfarm

I can remember putting about 2 plugs into one of my brothers junk mowers. I went down to help him on firewood and had 2 spare plugs with me. Forgot how long it ran each time,maybe 15 minutes,and would not start again. This mower was so old,I think you had to have oil in the gas.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Quote from: Scott03 on October 20, 2016, 08:46:48 PM
I thought of that, too, but doesn't it seem more logical that a plug would fail from too much voltage?  It does seem like it would get weaker as it fails, though.  But whether too weak or too strong, I don't know how to test the coil anyway, or the plugs for that matter.  So, it's either swap in a new coil and see what happens, or take it to the shop and let them sort it out.

Thanks!

Coils often fail after they get hot so by time you replace the plug they cool off some and run for a while again.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ZeroJunk

I think the voltage of a coil is determined by the number of turns and value of the capacitance. Don't think there is anything in the realm of physics that could make it generate more voltage. Plus, automobile spark can be 40 KV or better, more than you will get out of a small engine coil.

sandsawmill14

i agree with steve  :) next time you change the plug put one of the old plugs back in and see if it fires :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

HolmenTree

There's a intermittent voltage break some where or a bad coil . Never saw a saw burn out new plugs one after the other

What exact brand of plug and model number are you trying?
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Scott03

It's a Bosch WSR 6 F, pre-gapped at 0.5mm, right from the saw shop. 

When it was new I measured 3.82k ohms on my meter, after it went dead it measured 4.82k ohms, if that means anything.  The continuity tester didn't work, even on a new plug, I assume because it's a resistor type.

I went out just now and started up the saw with the latest, still-working plug, and it ran fine.  Then I swapped in the "new" plug that went dead, and it's still dead.  Cranked it until I smelled gas, and no go.  Then put the good one back in, and away it went, no problem.

Scott03

sandsawmill14 and huckfin, you can see from my reply to HolmenTree that I just tried that with no luck.  Maybe a sacrifice to the gods of Stihl is in order!  Or a new coil.

Scott03

Zerojunk, yes that's the way it seems to me, too.  But I'm at a loss to think up things that would break a plug.  Another thing on my mind is if the plugs are overheating from a leaned-out mixture or something like that.  Something is killing the plugs, because a new plug will work, and when I swap in a new-but-dead one it doesn't work.  That is, the dead plugs seem to be really dead, they don't connect up again internally after they cool down.

Scott03

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 21, 2016, 05:21:13 AM
You must have gremlins or something . :o I've never had a spark plug actually fail in a chainsaw .

Yes, I think the answer is going to be a sacrifice to the gods of Stihl!  Or a trip to the shop, which is pretty much the same thing.

Al_Smith

How in the world does a person check a spark plug with an ohm meter?

Texas-Jim

You can check from where the wire goes on to the electrode, it will give you the ohms of the resistor. Should be around 4 or so. But it really doesn't tell you very much. I agree with the others, its highly unlikely the plugs are failing, id look at something else as in coil. Plugs in cars can go well over a 100,000 miles and even though a saw is dirty compared to a car it shouldn't fail that fast.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Al_Smith

Okay,never heard of that .However he said 3.8 k ohms to 4.82 k ohms,K meaning thousand .

Texas-Jim

What we do in life echoes through eternity.

CTYank

I have seen plugs that worked poorly, making hot restarts very difficult. Not just going bad and refusing to work again. They were "Torch" plugs- should have been branded "Toss". Which is what I did. Replacement NGKs still working fine, thanks.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

joe_indi

Quote from: Scott03 on October 20, 2016, 10:31:01 AM
Lately, my old Stihl 066 has been acting up.

Is it a 'Red Eye'. Though I have not seen one I have read that their coils used to play up
Does it have an aluminum or polymer flywheel? I have seen several polymer flywheels that had their centers twist a couple of millimeters, enough to retard the ignition timing, which could cause spark plug fouling.
Before you start wasting money on spark plugs, try this on the fouled ones. Chances are you might be able to revive them.
My smart phone was a bit out of focus so the differences between the 'Before' (pic 01) and the 'After' (pic 05) may not be quite noticeable unless you look carefully.

Scott03

Al, I just clipped one probe to the end where the high-tension wire goes, held the other probe on the center electrode, and tried different ohm ranges until I got a reading, yes "k" in thousands.  I don't really know what it means, either, but the continuity tester I tried first didn't work, I'm assuming because it's a resistor plug.  I was trying to make sure that the new plug was actually good before I installed it.  Just trying to be thorough.

sandsawmill14

i have had this to happen to spark plugs was on an old ac tractor that had a magneto on it it would do exactly as your saw.  we finally changed the mag out to dist and solved the problem  ??? the thing is we still have 3 other tractors with with mags on them and have never had any trouble with any of them
the old honda 3 wheelers used to do it too unless you used they ngk plugs in them :-\
but anyway good luck with it :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Scott03

Is it a 'Red Eye'. Though I have not seen one I have read that their coils used to play up
Does it have an aluminum or polymer flywheel? I have seen several polymer flywheels that had their centers twist a couple of millimeters, enough to retard the ignition timing, which could cause spark plug fouling.
Before you start wasting money on spark plugs, try this on the fouled ones. Chances are you might be able to revive them.
My smart phone was a bit out of focus so the differences between the 'Before' (pic 01) and the 'After' (pic 05) may not be quite noticeable unless you look carefully.

joe_indi, it's an aluminum flywheel.  What's a Red Eye?

None of the dead plugs are fouled, if I can figure out how to put up a photo you can see for yourself (what looks like carbon across the gap is just the angle of the shot - the gap is clean).  I don't think they are defective either, something is killing them.

Scott03

A couple of comments on the photo above:  This plug was installed brand new and died after only 2/3 tank of gas, it doesn't work hot or cold.  The colors of the insulator are not due to shadows or angle of photo.  The light gray part must be a hot spot, and the dark part is carbon. 

ZeroJunk

Maybe somebody else has already asked, but do you have another piece of equipment you can put the plugs in that quit working in the 066 to see if they will work there?

The Red Eye will have an extra wire coming from the coil to a red light on the side of the carb box. It was used as a tuning feature. Wasn't reliable because the RPM that lit the red light changed over time.

If it goes bad you will have to find an aluminum flywheel that has an X and Y slot if it didn't come with one so you can use a standard ignition module.

Scott03

ZeroJunk, that was good advice!  I have an MM55 tiller, swapped the "dead" plug into it, and it worked!  But it still won't work in the saw, so there really must be gremlins in there.  I'm going to take it in and let the pros look at it, and pay up for their expertise.

The saw has an outline on the housing for where the red eye would go, and there were instructions for it in the manual, but mine doesn't have it.  I bought it mid-90's, maybe they decided to get rid of it by then.

Ada Shaker

Interesting to see something is causing your spark plugs to increase its internal resistance by 25%. The only thing I can think of that will do this is a higher than usual kv from the coil (which is generally unlikely unless you've changed the flywheel with increased magnetism) or heat is killing off your spark plugs (+ve temp coefficient of resistance), the higher the heat, the higher the resistance. Would be interesting to see the difference between a hot spark plug that has just failed and a cold one. Check to make sure your saw isn't running e excessively hot first.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Al_Smith

Well I'll me a monkys uncle.I checked it out and sure enough you can check a plug with an ohm meter .Never knew that,never had a plug fail completely .I've had them foul on old oil burning engines though .So I guess an old dog can learn a new trick,arf.

I've got an old Champion spark plug sand blaster that's probably about as old as I am .It will clean a fouled plug slick as a whistle.

Ada Shaker

Just bear in mind that not all spark plugs are created equall. Not all have a high internal resistance.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

ZeroJunk

Not sure why they put a resistor plug in a chainsaw to start with.

Scott03

Quote from: Ada Shaker on October 22, 2016, 03:32:42 AM
Interesting to see something is causing your spark plugs to increase its internal resistance by 25%. The only thing I can think of that will do this is a higher than usual kv from the coil (which is generally unlikely unless you've changed the flywheel with increased magnetism) or heat is killing off your spark plugs (+ve temp coefficient of resistance), the higher the heat, the higher the resistance. Would be interesting to see the difference between a hot spark plug that has just failed and a cold one. Check to make sure your saw isn't running e excessively hot first.

Ada, now I'm wondering if it is indeed running hot, and hurting but not killing the plugs, and also has a weak coil that won't fire a damaged plug with higher resistance, but will fire a new one, at least until that one gets overheated, too.  Since the supposedly dead plug works in my tiller, maybe it means the tiller's coil is good and has enough power to fire even the higher-resistance plug.  Anyway, it's in the shop now and they have the whole story, so we'll see what they can find.  I'll let you all know what happens, it's supposed to be ready Monday.

HolmenTree

When I bought my 066 Arctic red lite around 1992 when it was first introduced, about a month later my Stihl rep Dave Gordon got me the upgrade module to disable the red lite as they had problems with that new digital technology.
I can't remember if I changed the aluminum flywheel.
Don't remember what the outcome would have been if the upgrade wasn't made.
Bosch plugs are as good as a plug you can buy.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Scott03 on October 22, 2016, 01:40:14 PM
Quote from: Ada Shaker on October 22, 2016, 03:32:42 AM

Ada, now I'm wondering if it is indeed running hot, and hurting but not killing the plugs, and also has a weak coil that won't fire a damaged plug with higher resistance, but will fire a new one, at least until that one gets overheated, too.  Since the supposedly dead plug works in my tiller, maybe it means the tiller's coil is good and has enough power to fire even the higher-resistance plug.  Anyway, it's in the shop now and they have the whole story, so we'll see what they can find.  I'll let you all know what happens, it's supposed to be ready Monday.

Sounds feasible,  be interesting to find out what the problem was and what caused it. Do keep us in the loop.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 22, 2016, 03:21:26 PM
When I bought my 066 Arctic red lite around 1992 when it was first introduced, about a month later my Stihl rep Dave Gordon got me the upgrade module to disable the red lite as they had problems with that new digital technology.

Probably a few blacken eyed stihl reps walking around the place most likely. :D
                             AND

Pine Ridge

Try a different brand spark plug and see what happens, I had a similar problem a few years ago , same brand plugs that you mentioned.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Scott03

Quote from: Pine Ridge on October 22, 2016, 10:00:34 PM
Try a different brand spark plug and see what happens, I had a similar problem a few years ago , same brand plugs that you mentioned.

Not a bad idea.  HolmenTree says Bosch is among the best, and they do seem to make good stuff in general.  But even the best can come up short once in awhile.  Like the RedEye thing with Stihl.  Also, I had a silly problem with the 066 a few years back.  It's a magnum, which means they hot-rodded it to bump up the power-to-weight ratio.  But someone forgot to beef up the crankshaft to handle that extra power, so one day I was running it hard, ripping with an Alaskan Mill, and it broke.  The shop guys knew all about it and were surprised mine hadn't broken sooner.  I guess I hadn't run mine as hard as the loggers around here (I'm in Oregon) so it lasted a bit longer.  They fixed it free, which was nice, but it was a dumb thing for Stihl to have overlooked in the first place.

We'll see what the mechanic says when I get the saw back, and go from there. 

Scott03

That thing has seen some action!  Looks like yours has a metal air filter housing, mine is plastic.

Al_Smith

I wonder why they would use resister plugs on a chainsaw? The intent when they first came out was electronic noise suppression .Prior to ii caused it caused peoples televisions to go bonkers .Ha I had a 1959 Pontiac that drove my then girl friends father nuts .

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 23, 2016, 04:03:24 AM
I wonder why they would use resister plugs on a chainsaw? The intent when they first came out was electronic noise suppression .Prior to ii caused it caused peoples televisions to go bonkers .Ha I had a 1959 Pontiac that drove my then girl friends father nuts .

The carbon ignition leads worked under the same principle. I also thought that was what the ignition filter capacitor was for, to help filter out noise produced by arching, which has a pretty wide band width. Now we have capacitors,  carbon leads and resistive spark plugs working in unison with an inductive coil. I sometimes wonder about the LCR circuit and if it has something to do with resonant frequencies as th3 chainsaws run wot.
                             AND

ZeroJunk

I knew they would wreak  havoc on an AM radio in particular, but didn't realize the range of it would be enough for a saw to interfere with anything nearby.

I don't suppose they hurt anything, he has something else going on, just not sure what.

Could be the compression has gotten on the low end and only a fresh plug will keep it going. Or, could be the condenser part of the coil has opened.

A 000 400 1300 can be bought really cheap off eBay. I would have tried that first.

Hilltop366

Its unlikely in your case but often over looked problem with small engines that are finicky is the flywheel/coil gap, a little extra gap can weaken the spark making it hard to start.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Scott03 on October 23, 2016, 02:30:38 AM

That thing has seen some action!  Looks like yours has a metal air filter housing, mine is plastic.

Yep metal cover. My saw is the very first run of the 066's onto the market. The crankshaft never failed and the cylinder has never been removed and it's over 24 years old.
I always religiously used 40:1 Stihl Premium mix (Castrol Super 2 Stroke) with premium gas. It has bucked and noodle split tons of cords of firewood. Milled thousands of feet of lumber with the original 28" bar.

ZeroJunk

I think it was from sticking the nose in to something running wide open and slamming the brake shut on the clutch with the flywheel saying wait a minute. Among other things I am sure.  Something an experienced user is less likely to have problems with I suspect.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 23, 2016, 08:26:21 AM
I knew they would wreak  havoc on an AM radio in particular, but didn't realize the range of it would be enough for a saw to interfere with anything nearby.

I don't suppose they hurt anything, he has something else going on, just not sure what.

Could be the compression has gotten on the low end and only a fresh plug will keep it going. Or, could be the condenser part of the coil has opened.

A 000 400 1300 can be bought really cheap off eBay. I would have tried that first.

It has always been known that an uncontrollabe electrical arc of any nature produces RF with a highly variable bandwidth. Electrical motors are quite often the worst culprits. Keeping in mind that the minute signals are picket up by the antenna and amplified through the devices amplifiers stages. A combustion engine may not be so bad as the arc is completely surrounded by metal. As of late these issues have become less of a problem due to good filtration at both the source of thr arc and at the receiving end, service stations still request that you turn off your mobile phone when refuelling though.
                             AND

ZeroJunk

I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for about 35 years, so I understand the concept. But, I was thinking the resistor plugs were designed to limit interference to AM radios in cars where the wanted signal and unwanted interference are amplified equally. In todays technology it may interfere with the onboard computers etc.  FM and digital are not effected to the same extent at all. Plus antennas are a two way street, so I can't see a chainsaw bothering anything ever even in the AM days for more than a few yards maybe.

But, it could be that all they use are resistor plugs anymore for simplicity or other reasons that don't occur to me. May interfere with the electronics in the ignition module itself.

The reason is not RFI from chainsaws.

bill m

Almost all areas of the USA have regulations on radio interference, including from internal combustion engines. Hence the reason for resistor plugs being required.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ZeroJunk

That explains it. Sort of get grouped in although by nature they are seldom likely to be in close proximity to much they could bother.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 23, 2016, 07:31:50 PM
I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for about 35 years, so I understand the concept. But, I was thinking the resistor plugs were designed to limit interference to AM radios in cars where the wanted signal and unwanted interference are amplified equally. In todays technology it may interfere with the onboard computers etc.  FM and digital are not effected to the same extent at all. Plus antennas are a two way street, so I can't see a chainsaw bothering anything ever even in the AM days for more than a few yards maybe.

But, it could be that all they make are resistor plugs anymore for simplicity or other reasons that don't occur to me. May interfere with the electronics in the ignition module itself.

The reason is not RFI from chainsaws.

Chainsaws and other combustion engines are unlikely to produce much RF as stated earlier as the spark plug is encased in a closed engine. Or better said, the RF from the spark would have little interference if any due to it being encased/shielded in a metal enclosure. You'd probably get more RF from an old chainsaw that used the points system that had little shielding, but most saws of those days were pretty much all metallic anyway. Tx Rx antennas are 2 way but tv and receivers are 1 way. I would imagine Rf would have some effect on the Rx circuit in some way, perhaps at some frequencies more than others.

As far as the resistor spark plugs go, they may form part of an LCR circuit within the ignition circuit itself. The R portion limiting current flow when the circuit hits resonant frequency (only taking a guess here) when XL=Xc when the chainsaw hits full speed for cutting. Like i said I'm only taking a stab in the dark, as there isn't much information out there on the design of chainsaws and its all kept fairly secret. Your Tx Rx radio circuits also use resonant frequencies to tune into a particular channel sliding along the frequency scale, its that resonant frequency that determines what channel your on.

I really couldn't think of any other reason for having resistive spark plugs other than for RFI suppression and/or being part of an LCR circuit where it interacts electronically with the inductance of the coil and the capacitance of the condenser/capacitor.

My background is that of an electrical fitter, electrical mechanic, have some studies in the realm of electrical/electronic engineering, and recently added to this, a diploma of visual arts (majoring in photography) which has nothing to do with chainsaws but i can take some pretty pictures of one if you like. :D :D :D
                             AND

ZeroJunk

Just reading around there seems to be some thinking that a non resistor plug can fry an electronic ignition. Resistor buffers the discharge. I can see some logic in that.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 23, 2016, 10:55:26 PM
Just reading around there seems to be some thinking that a non resistor plug can fry an electronic ignition. Resistor buffers the discharge. I can see some logic in that.

Yep, the old points ignition had a straight out spark plug with steel ignition lead. The new leads are so floppy these days, id say they're some form of silicon/carbon or some composite material. Vehicle ones are very similar these days in flexibility and also have some resistance to the leads. Adding to this its quite possible that the coil has some resistance in series with its lead. I can't really say as I've yet to measure coil dc resistance but i would imagine it would be fairly low ohms, the lead could possibly bring it up some what. Some one might be able to compare a points coil resistance with the resistance of an electronic ignition module to verify if this is correct.
                             AND

Al_Smith

A lot of the old plug wires were braided copper with non shielded insulation .Then they went to carbonized conductors with semi conductor shielding etc good for around 100 thousand volts .Prevented flash overs,cross fire between the plugs etc .The plugs last almost forever any more .

The noise on radios TV etc was picked up by the intermediate frequency transformer and amplified to the speakers .Often the video picked it up and the TV acted like an osciliscope which drove people nuts like a pass play,fourth down 20 seconds to go on a football game .All they heard was buzzzz.

I'm not sure any of the above has anything to do with a chainsaw ignition system .

Al_Smith

Now here's what might be happening .Some Stihls,042 and 048 for example with SEM ignitions had self advancing coils .If for some reason the advance solid state circuitry failed it might just be cutting off .There no repairing just replacing .I have no info on the saw ignition in question so it's a stab in the dark .However I've had advancing coil types either fail on full advance or fail to advance and either condition  causes problems .

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 24, 2016, 06:06:04 AM
Now here's what might be happening .Some Stihls,042 and 048 for example with SEM ignitions had self advancing coils .If for some reason the advance solid state circuitry failed it might just be cutting off .There no repairing just replacing .I have no info on the saw ignition in question so it's a stab in the dark .However I've had advancing coil types either fail on full advance or fail to advance and either condition  causes problems .

Not a terribly uncommon problem on newer Stihl blowers and trimmers.  I have replaced, rebuilt carbs because the unit just won't take the throttle only to find out the ignition was bad. Idles fine, so I am assuming it lost it's advance.

Canadiana

In the dark if you connect your spark plug and ground it to the cylinder, then pull starter you will see spark. Alter the new one with a dead one. Watch closely for a small difference in spark. This may give you another clue but this issue is beyond my skills n experience. Very interested to hear how you solve this. Best of luck
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

joe_indi

If you are using a NGK or Bosch plug an your ignition is weak, the spark might be quite weak. But, if you can lay your hands on one of the cheap plugs that come from China, chances are they are unsupressed and their spark would even put Darth Vader's stun gun to shame  :D. And on a weak ignition coil they work quite well. I posted quite some time ago about even using them to 'force start' engines with temporarily stuck rings.

Scott03

Just got my saw back from the shop, and it works like it's supposed to.  So far.  But...

Nobody really knows why, for sure.  The mechanics didn't know what to make of my story:  Brand new plug quits, replace it with another and it works, until it quits, too, after just a few tanks of gas.  Rinse and repeat.  Then put the "dead" plug in my MM55 tiller, and it works, but put it back into the 066 and no go.

They actually asked me:  "What do you want us to do?"  To myself I thought "You guys are supposed to tell me!"  Out loud I said "How about giving it a good tuneup, and check the ignition system and coil?"  That made sense, so off they went.

New air filter, fuel filter, and plug.  Ignition system and coil checked out as normal.  The kill switch didn't stop the engine, once, so they fixed that.  The carb was running a bit rich so they adjusted that and put a tach on it to get the high end right.  New clutch springs.  Then they cut with it for 20 minutes and proclaimed it good to go.  I worked it another 20 min. or so when I got home.

There you go, guys. I wish they'd found something specific, so there was a better sense of finality about solving the problem.   

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Scott03 on October 26, 2016, 02:52:14 AM
Just got my saw back from the shop, and it works like it's supposed to.  So far.  But...

Nobody really knows why, for sure.  The mechanics didn't know what to make of my story:  Brand new plug quits, replace it with another and it works, until it quits, too, after just a few tanks of gas.  Rinse and repeat.  Then put the "dead" plug in my MM55 tiller, and it works, but put it back into the 066 and no go.

They actually asked me:  "What do you want us to do?"  To myself I thought "You guys are supposed to tell me!"  Out loud I said "How about giving it a good tuneup, and check the ignition system and coil?"  That made sense, so off they went.

New air filter, fuel filter, and plug.  Ignition system and coil checked out as normal.  The kill switch didn't stop the engine, once, so they fixed that.  The carb was running a bit rich so they adjusted that and put a tach on it to get the high end right.  New clutch springs.  Then they cut with it for 20 minutes and proclaimed it good to go.  I worked it another 20 min. or so when I got home.

There you go, guys. I wish they'd found something specific, so there was a better sense of finality about solving the problem.   

Good to hear you got your saw back and there was nothing seriously wrong with it. In your opinion, do you think the saw may have been running a little hot?. I've known engines to run hot when the air filter needed replacing so maybe this coupled with a fine tune will hopefully solve your problem. Just out of curosity, has your new spark plug changed resistance since running the saw?. This may give some indication that the problem may have been an overheating issue to begin with.
                             AND

Scott03

[/quote]

Good to hear you got your saw back and there was nothing seriously wrong with it. In your opinion, do you think the saw may have been running a little hot?. I've known engines to run hot when the air filter needed replacing so maybe this coupled with a fine tune will hopefully solve your problem. Just out of curosity, has your new spark plug changed resistance since running the saw?. This may give some indication that the problem may have been an overheating issue to begin with.
[/quote]

I don't think so, even though I was kind of hoping it was, because that might have explained a few things.  The "dead" plugs I would change out all had carbon deposits on them, like it was on the rich side, and the shop guys said that, too.  Isn't it when the carb is too lean that you get too much heat?  Also, the mechanic didn't think the filter was particularly dirty, he just thought it would be on the safe side to replace it.  I still have it, it's the washable type so I'll keep it on the shelf as a spare.  Good point about the resistance, I didn't think to measure it.  Will do that before I run it again. 

CTYank

Those carbon deposits on the insulator can have the spark current bypass the spark gap.
A useful tool in cases like this is an inline spark checker. You connect one side to the cable, the other to the plug. The transparent center part has a gap where you can watch sparking. Soooo, while running, you could see the normal spark, and then watch it when/if the engine acts up to see if the spark dies first.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Mountain_d

I agree. I would bet on a weak ignition coil. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

joe_indi

It would be advisable to examine the ignition lead (for frayed insulation) ditton the short circuit wire, and the torsion spring in the spark plug boot. It is notorious for wearing out from vibration, just enough to prevent constant current.
All of these or one of them would cause erratic spark at the plug, which in turn could cause carbon buildup or an oily plug

beauj5

Did you ever resolve the problem with the 066 going through plugs?
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

Al_Smith

This is a mystery .As per that pic for some reason the electrode insulator is becoming carboned up for some reason .It probably creates a short circuit from the electrode to ground providing a lower resistance to ground than jumping the gap.Obviously the spark will follow the path  of least resistance.

Now the big question is what is causing the carbon? Could is possibly be the fuel?

DelawhereJoe

What mix ratio do you use in this saw and what oil in the gas ? I'll also assume you use the same mix in other saws with no trouble.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Al_Smith

It's confusing to me because even running a ratio of 16 to 1 on old outboard boat motors  it didn't foul the plugs .About the only thing that would is running at trolling speeds for an extended period of time .Then all it was was to lean out the high speed a tad and run the snot out of it  then get back to trolling .

I'm not certain if some of those gas additives would cause this or not or even if they were used .If so that may explain a few things .

I have some saws I've owned for over 30 years that have the original  plugs .Now I might have wire brushed them a time or two while doing routine maintenance which isn't all that often but they've never been replaced .

Mountain_d

I was having a similar problem with a snowmobile just last week. I read on a snowmobile forum someone was claiming they solved this by replacing the cylinder base gasket. I not sure the logic behind it but something to consider. Mountain.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Thank You Sponsors!