iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett Cancar Skidder

Started by treetech, February 16, 2011, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treetech

Hi All. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the back end of a garrett 10 skidder. The one I am fixing up has had some stuff cut off the back and I am scared that the rear end might get damaged without some kind of protection. Did they come with fenders or just a shield? Any help that you can give me will be much appreciated.

redlaker1

mine has nothing in the way of fenders or a guard on the back,  not sure if it ever did

I was thinking the same thing as you,   the back of the differential housing is pretty exposed

lumberjack48

I never seen a older garrett with fenders, just the shield, a heavy bunt plate. It should have it or the trees will beat it to death.

You sure could put nice little set of fenders on it, keeps trees from climbing up tires, and ect.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Here are some pics of my 15A, which is not alot different than the 10, just a bit bigger. https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=18691&pos=-85947

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2139&pos=22 never mind the bloke ruining the pic.  I added this so you can see the plate protecting the axle housing as well.  No fenders.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2139&pos=16
factory brochure of the model 15 tree farmer.
I don't think they ever had fenders put on them.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treetech

It should be easy enough to whip up something like the shield on Mad Murdock's 15. Thanks for the pictures. It would be nice to be able to read the specs on the brochure but I guess it lost some of the clarity when it was scanned. The machine I have has been changed a lot. When I got it, it had a homemade wooden cab on it and a seat out of a van. I am in the process of making and remounting a new seat because the old one was where the winch should be mounted. It has a gas tank mounted on the back half of the machine. Where is it suposed to be and what is it suposed to look like? The guy i bought it from removed the winch and was going to use the skidder for snow removal. Sorry for all the questions.

John Woodworth

The 10 had no fenders, that steel plate, the back of the frame below the arch is the way they came. the back cover of the rear end below and forward of this plate some times could get dented but will take a lot of punishment. I wouldn't worry about adding anything extra if I were you as my 10 has done the job fine the way it is and I've owned it for 31 years now.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!