iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grit's Again

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2018, 07:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

51cub

Quote from: JohnW on February 19, 2018, 10:20:28 PM
I wonder if the Minute Men ate grits
I'll eat grits myself sometimes if it's available. For that matter, I might be the only person in CT that has heard of them. But, I prefer to think the Minute Men processed their corn properly and made cornbread
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Texas Ranger

Great, testing a grits theory
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I really like cornbread but seldom see it, not well known in western Canada in spite of the abundance of corn. OTOH, Frosted Flakes are on every store shelf but I don't spend my dime on them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

starmac

Well I ate the same raw oyster several times, but it finally got high enough I could spit it out.

I would be plumb lost without corn bread, do not eat a lot of bell peppers, but stuffed, they sure make a tasty meal.

What are you guys calling frosted flakes, is that sugar coated corn flakes?? I thought everybody ate them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Raider Bill

Quote from: starmac on February 23, 2018, 02:23:42 AM
Well I ate the same raw oyster several times, but it finally got high enough I could spit it out.

I would be plumb lost without corn bread, do not eat a lot of bell peppers, but stuffed, they sure make a tasty meal.

What are you guys calling frosted flakes, is that sugar coated corn flakes?? I thought everybody ate them.
They're GREAT!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

Sawguy,

Just for general info to everyone who eats corn flakes, frosted flakes, etc. I guess you to know the first ingredient they use is corn grits. They soften and sweeten and press/flatten and dry and box them. I was fortunate enough to take the Kellogs tour in Battle Creek MI about 1895 and watched the whole process.

Another related and interesting fact I learned there at DLA HQ as a USMC rep was it was an old sanatorium (Sort of a Betty Ford clinic drying out drunks and druggies and such - I'm sorry, that's not PC. I meant to say chemically challenged individuals). Dr. Kellogs ran it and was experimenting with diet including making and serving corn flakes. His brother helped him and decided they would sell and set up shop making them. Another funny point was CW Post was an inmate at the clinic and while eating the corn flakes there he had the same idea and when he got out he set up shop across town.

If they had just known all they needed to do was boil them with a pinch of salt and add a dab of butter they'd have already been perfect. Maybe add cheese when serving at a fish fry.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Tony The Tiger.
I myself don't eat cereal. I can eat a whole box and look for more. Than in a few hours I am really looking for somthing to eat. ;D
I'm not about to get on the,Oh you have to eat them,they are so good,train.
As I keep repeating, I have tried grits.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 23, 2018, 08:35:48 AMI was fortunate enough to take the Kellogs tour in Battle Creek MI about 1895 and watched the whole process.

You are muuuch older than I thought!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

:D :D You beat me to it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I was just checking to see if anybody actually reads these things. Maybe it was 1985 instead. You know when you get my age you forget things. They say memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first one was. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Pat & I tried to get the tour in 1995 and were told that they were no longer available.  If we had only been 100 years earlier.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Actually I think they stopped less than 6 months after I went through. Was either 1985 or early 1986 they stopped. I think I read they were worried about deliberate contamination during the food processing. Was a pretty neat tour. And at the end of the tour they gave you a box of cereal.
Howard Green

WDH

WV,

Looks like you screwed the Tour up :D.  What did you do?  Oh, you can.t remember......
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Maybe up-chucking in the molasses vat was not the proper place. ;D They did make me wear a face mask to cover a small mustache. Sure makes life difficult - like trying to go pee and remembering you still have your nail apron on. :o
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

Still havent summoned the courage to cook a batch.
I assume that the only difference between grits and corn meal is the fineness of the grind?
On another note boiled peanuts must be  a secret weapon that you southern folk hope to poison us northerners with smiley_nananana
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

That is pretty much correct on the difference between corn meal and grits. I had an old mentor who used to have his own meal and grits ground and he would even sift and separate the coarse from the fine grits because the coarse grits (Which I liked much better) took a lot longer to cook.

Go ahead and be adventurous and cook a batch. It is good for your soul.

Now you've got me craving a good batch of boiled peanuts. I may have to empty the entire freezer to find that last batch we put in there.
Howard Green

Magicman

Sadly I have eaten my last boilin' or Peanuts.  :-\

When our pantry got low my Mom would cook cornmeal to the consistency of Grits.  She called it Mush.  The taste was different and I never really cared for it, but whatever she cooked stood between us and hungry.

Raider Bill

I had fried corn meal mush last week for breakfast. Little diner I go to has it regularly.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 28, 2018, 08:53:49 AM
I had fried corn meal mush last week for breakfast. Little diner I go to has it regularly.

Raider Bill, been 70 years or so since I had fried mush, like MM said, back then it was what was when the cabinet got thin.  That and white rice for breakfast, dinner and supper.  Not the good old days.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

starmac

No grit expert here, but was always under the impression that at least the white grits were made from hominy, is that wrong. I can't say that I have ever had yellow grits.

Another thing, when I was growing up them thar grits were for when the pickins in the cupboard got thin too.
Ate a lot of white rice for breakfast, and liked it more than most cereals.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Yellow Grits are made from Yellow Corn and White Grits are made from White Corn.

Raider Bill

White milk comes from white cows and chocolate milk comes from brown cows. :D

Jeff

True! My Mamma said so.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 23, 2018, 08:35:48 AMJust for general info to everyone who eats corn flakes, frosted flakes, etc. I guess you to know the first ingredient they use is corn grits. They soften and sweeten and press/flatten and dry and box them. I was fortunate enough to take the Kellogs tour in Battle Creek MI about 1895 and watched the whole process.  
  If they had just known all they needed to do was boil them with a pinch of salt and add a dab of butter they'd have already been perfect. Maybe add cheese when serving at a fish fry.

Corn flakes left to soak in milk are not any better then "grits"  No matter how theys got cooked.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

What part of that quote is new? Never mind, I'll fix it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!