iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So what's this beauty: Solved - Rhodora

Started by SwampDonkey, June 01, 2004, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I was walkin along a winter harvest trail and minding my own business. And look what I seen near my work area. The ground is imperfectly to poorly drained where I found this plant. And I'm thinning in a young cedar stand not far away. Its also on dry rocky terrain.

Leaves have not yet emerged. Ain't it purdy? Its found mainly in Canada and northern NJ, NY, Northeast PA and New England ;)

So what is it?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

Got it!!   Its a purple flower!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

None of you folks from Va, NC, TN or northern Georgia see anything remotely close to this flower growing under the oak forests? Hmm open up ya eyes @..@  !!  ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kedwards

my guess is changed.. your clue to flowers open before leaves tells me it is Rhododendron canadense or Rhodora. we have the cousin catawbiense here..it does look a LOT like azalea though
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

SwampDonkey

Yup its Rhodora. :)

[edited, azalia is also a Rhodadendron ]

It does look kind of like azalia I guess. Also, false Azalia is common in the pacific north west.

Thank You Sponsors!