iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photo printer?

Started by Woodhauler, December 16, 2015, 08:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Looking for a good quality printer for my daughter in law. She takes lots of pictures and needs a printer to make pictures.  :christmas:
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

WV Sawmiller

WH,

My wife is the free lance photographer and up to date on this.

She first asked how much you want to spend. She suggests you go to B&H website (home store in NYC), got to Photography tab, look up printers, go to Canon, select inkjet, says 2 good and affordable are Canon Pro-10 and Pro-100.

If she is not shooting a Canon camera, art to good picture printing is have drivers from her camera match code of the printer and every company is different in this respect and only way around this is to shoot in Adobe colors.

If too complicated, PM me with a phone # and I will see if she can discuss directly with you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Printers have come way down in price from yesteryears.
Actually Walmart has a variety of different printers.
The printer I use is an HP. Prints very good black / color paper copies and runs off my wifi to where I can print a picture from my phone at the sawmill to my printer at home.

I don't know how deeply involved your daughter in law is when it comes to quality, but Walmart does have a return policy.

Pick a printer to see if its to your DIL liking to the quality of pics she wants....if she is not happy with it, Walmart will take it back if you pack it back up and have your receipt.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clearcut

I prefer to send photos out to be professionally printed. They have better quality printers than most individuals can afford. I mostly use Costco. If you don't like the prints they will reprint them or refund your money.

Considering the cost of quality paper and ink, I think it is less expensive overall.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Brian_Rhoad

Epson and Canon make very good photo printers. HP doesn't have a photo printer unless you want a large format and want to spend a couple thousand for it.

First you need to decide how big you want to print. Then what type of ink. Dye or pigment. Dye ink is less expensive than pigment but will fade quicker. Prints from a good dye printer will last as long as the old photos printed from film.

I have an Epson R3000 printer that has done thousands of prints. I use refillable cartridges and buy ink by the bottle. You will spend more on ink than what you pay for the printer.

Refurbished printers are something to check out also. They usually have the same warranty as a new one if you buy it from Epson or Canon.

WV Sawmiller

Clearcut,

This may be true for an occasional user.

My wife does this commercially and she prints her own on a Canon Pro-9000 (No longer made - she says she will buy one of the others the next time they are on sale) and routinely prints up to 13 X 19 (A3) HS senior, family and wedding pictures. She does not print jpeg files, she prints from raw format which is about 5X the size of jpeg. If you are just taking "memory" pictures the smaller printers and "commercial" processors may be okay.  There is no comparison between her prints and what you would get from a COSTCO or Wal-Mart or some place that prints from a compressed computer file. She uses 200 year ink on 200 year, water-proof paper. (Check with me in 2215 and we will see how true her vendors statements were). Becky's prints are gallery quality. In addition to her own photos she teaches photo workshops as well as printing and has taught photography at our high school and our local college.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

We print a couple hundred colorpix everyday for clients. been using a Konica Minolta 5650ps for a couple years. Big machine, beautiful prints but the toner is a bit pricey. We do not use ink jets strictly lazer printers.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ianab

While we have a little colour printer that does a decent job, it's expensive to run, especially when you add in the fancy photo paper.

So we usually use an online service and make up a whole album of pictures which get printed and bound into an A4 hardcover book. Add titles and captions etc and hit print. Arrives at the door next day as a finished book.

Even our wedding albums where done that way. We had a professional photographer take them, but she only supplied a small postcard size flip album of prints and a CD with a copy of all the images she had taken, plus the retouched ones that she had printed out. So we took the best of hers, some other assorted pictures that we and the guests had taken, and made up full size albums, and smaller softcover ones for each of the guests. And some canvas prints to go on the wall. It just made sense to do it this way rather than try and get albums and prints back from the Islands, where they had limited photo printing services anyway.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

Ian,

I assume you are talking about printing/copying your own pictures not those from a professional photographer who normally owns the rights to print/copy them. My wife's pictures have a watermark showing she took them and "professional" printers will not print them or they risk copywright infringement. She once caught a local office supply  chain store printing copies of a class reunion and when she talked to the manager he put a stop to his people real quick with a very sincere apology - he knew the law. When she does a photo shoot such as a wedding she has a contract to come take the pictures and provide a certain number of proofs. Often these are posted on her website in a password protected file so the client can allow access to whomever they want. Normally they look at the proofs and order from the file numbers. She posts small, watermarked files not suitable for good printing. The actual pictures are her property and she will print copies of whatever sizes the client wants for agreed upon rates. She has had clients who wanted the rights to the pictures and they can buy them for a fee then they can do whatever they want to with them.
Howard Green

Kbeitz

Something to think about.  If you buy a Lazer printer then you can transfer
you pictures to your wood projects.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!