iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took a gamble

Started by yukon cornelius, February 17, 2016, 10:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

My old 78 ford was just sitting unused and in loved and came across someone who needed a wood hauler. They had a 2008 explorer with just 144k miles that they said needed a radiator from getting ditched. It had no signs of damage other than a small leak. Not even broken plastic. So we traded straight up. A 77 dollar radiator and it seems fine. I test drove it last night for over an hour. It is a great upgrade from our old caravan with 275000 miles. The 4x4 will be great out here in the sticks where we are. An upgrade that wouldn't have happened this year. 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

beenthere

Did you get a clear title? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

Yes sir! I was worried it had been driven home without any antifreeze and ruined the heads or worse. I believe I have driven far enough to rule that out. I will keep watch on the fluid levels to watch for losses.

WV Sawmiller

YC,

Congrats on a good looking machine. Looks like it has been kept out of the weather and hopefully well maintained. Sounds like a real good trade especially if both of you got what you needed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Any pictures of the Old Ford??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

sweeeet  8) 8) 8)   my dad had an 05 that thing was great in the snow  got good gas mileage think around 16-18  the only thing that he ever had trouble with was the back wheel bearings other than that it was fine it had 127k on it when he passed away i still have it and haven't ran it since  ???  good luck with it hope you get another 144k out of it   one more thing ask what kind of oil he was running in it some say it does not matter BUT i like to run the same kind as the owner

samandothers

yukon cornelius

c farm, I have some pics in my gallery of it. it was a good running but 2 different colors. not horrible to look at but not beautiful either.

my wife and I went out on a little date in it tonight. we went north to 30 miles to try a place on the lake for dinner but it was closed. we went west about 30 miles to another and it was closed. so we went back south 40 or so miles and found a place to eat. then we went and checked out a few boat ramps around us and looked at the lake a bit. now we are several hundred miles in with no issues. it really is a nice looking good running ride. the interior is a bit grubby but nothing we cant clean up. overall we ended up with the best end for us but I sure liked that old beast. as we added it to our insurance we decided to check rates and ended up being able to add it and add full coverage to all our vehicles for only a $5 increase a month. we had been with the last insurance company for 17 years. it has been a great day!

bigred1951

Hate to hear you got rid of the ford but happy you got a great deal out of it :) I would have done it to.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

21incher

Sounds like you made a good deal. 30 years newer and still a Ford. I think you got the better end of the trade. You can always get a little trailer to move big stuff. I was with my last insurance company for over twenty years untill I got quotes from other companies only to save almost 50% with the same coverage.:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

This will pull my favorite little trailer. a 1949 David Bradley trailer. it is a 4x8 trailer that one would easily mistake for a pickup bed trailer from a 50s truck. I just happened to figure out it was a David Bradley. I am a David Bradley fan since I pulled out a Tri Trac from a junk ditch and got it running.

For us this was a better deal. They are very happy also. win WIN situation.

Thank You Sponsors!