iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When will I get to saw?

Started by Chris Burchfield, July 30, 2005, 10:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Picked up the new LT40 Super Hydraulic W/Command Control operator station, board return and debarker. Arky entertained me for a day incorporating the three cherry logs which produced between 4 to 500 board feet. It was very enjoyable. Before I left, I cut a deal with an 83 year old who has 144 loblolly pines. I haul the limbs to the road and I get the logs. For 10 trees on the ground, 70 foot logs 18 to 24 inches in diameter, I've worked four evenings after work and two Saturdays hauling limbs. Still have to the haul logs. Since I returned on the 22nd I've not cut one board. I had two people call me today saying they had pine trees coming down and would give me the logs, no limb hauling 8). The old gentleman is retired, fixed income and being killed by taxes, I was trying to help before I knew better. I have to leave Memphis (SW corner of  TN) Sunday and go to Gatlinburg TN (SE corner of TN) in the Smokey Mountains to attain recertification hours for my Fire, Arson & Explosion Investigation Certification recert hours, returning Saturday. I know he'd have to pay out a lot to clean the pines from his property. I think after I clean up the mess that's there, I'll just explain I've had a better offer ie. free logs. I want to cut the wood for the house I'm going to build. Any suggestions?
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

HORSELOGGER

Well lets see..... Ifn I were the older gentleman, i might not take the news too good if it was put to me that you had a "better offer" ... But I would probably be ok with you  telling me that since this was a new venture for you, you really didnt know what you were agreeing to, work load wise as you are new to this whole deal, and think that you have taken on more than you can handle. I got a better deal sounds , ..well.. a little arogant. I think this is too much for me sounds humble. Folks like humble ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

brdmkr

I was faced with a similar problem and I have still yet to cut a board.  Maybe I should change my handle :o

A lady at church had 50 or so oaks that were 12 - 20 inches in diameter that she wanted thinned and cleaned up.  I would have loved to have the wood, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew that the job would be too much for me.  Cutting the lumber would not have been so bad, but the clean-up would have been more than I wanted to deal with.  So, I had to pass.  I would like to have just ONE log right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Y'all are beginning to see why arborists charge so much to take down a tree and clean up the mess, eh?  That is a heap of work to do.  I get roped into a little bit of that stuff, but it's gotta be a real good buddy that's needin' the help.  Got one coming up later this week, but I'm doing it to keep someone from getting hurt.  They're gonna do it whether I'm there or not, and they just ain't equipped for it.  I only gotta do enough cleanup to get the logs out, too. :)

Brdmkr, do you have enough time after work to whack up a log?  I could meet ya at your house with a couple if you want to try it one evening.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chris Burchfield

Thanks folks. I do not want to come across as arrogant. Humble, a bit niave and bitting off more than I can chew goes right along with humble pie, thanks horselogger. I do not intend on telling him there are much better deals out there for me. He knows he has an exceptional deal with what I am doing. Each tree will produce at least three 20 foot logs. Some will make framing material and some nothing more than flooring or decking. Most important will be the framing for the saw shed. Two heads are better than one and four even better. Thanks for the input, from the outside looking in, I can't always see.

DanG

Chris, I'm trying to think of suggestions for you in your situation, but need more info.  Are the 144 trees on the ground, or are you expected to do the felling?  Are you working with a deadline on the project?  What sort of equipment do you have to load and haul the logs?  Are you just piling the debris by the road to be picked up?  How much can you pile there at one time?

That is an awful lot of work to be doing by hand, but it is also an awful lot of "free" timber to pass up.  Any chance you could hire some help on a day to day basis?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MemphisLogger

Chris,

If you need help, you could call my cousin. He and a buddy of his who does tree work would most likely be happy to help you out.

Scott
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Chris Burchfield

Thanks DanG & Scott. No time limit, all brawn & back, no equipment. Ten trees are on the ground. Twenty 18 - 22" dia. I'm cutting to 20.' They pickup yard waste every Monday. I've put enough out to fill a couple of 53' trailers to the rim. Like I explained to the Gentleman, "A man can't eat a whole hog in one sittin, but he can eat whole hog a little bit at a time."  I think time is not on my side. Come to think of it nor is the money, I spent all of that on the mill. Sorry for the slow response, I had to go to Gattlinburg, TN. on the edge of the Great Smokey Mountains for the week. Thanks again, Chris.

Thank You Sponsors!