iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill setups - inside building or portable - Photos would be great

Started by CJF1981, March 05, 2015, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJF1981

Since I am new here, I was wondering if everyone would be willing to share there sawmill setup, portable, or permanent?  I am looking for some ideas on setup.  Photos would be great.  I currently have a 40' wide x 64' long x 18' high barn that I could set up in.  The door opening is in the middle of the 40' wide and is 12' wide x 14' tall sliding door.  The only way to set up the mill inside would be to pull the logs into the building or have the triaxle log truck unload in the barn if possible.  How are you guys handling sawdust inside buildings?  Any setup ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CJF1981

I am going to reply to my post.  I am looking for a smaller mill (LT15 size) and most had commented in the past about a portable mill is hard without hydraulics.  I have seen one setup where a guy had his mill setup on a concrete floor in a large warehouse building.  He could bring in a large log.  Outside setups underneath a pavilion type setup being open for larger logs on one side also seems popular.  I liked the idea of having a portable mill so I can store in the barn when not using and pull outside when I'm sawing.  The sawdust could be blown on the ground as well.  I would sticker the boards outside as well to air dry.  Thoughts?  It keeps the mess outside and also saves me from building another structure on my property. 

If I were to cut for people I could have them bring the logs to me.  My question is more of cutting logs outside or inside a building.  Pros and cons?  I'm leaning towards outside so portable so I can store inside and pull outside to cut.

drobertson

I don't have any good pics that would really help you, but will say where there's a will there is a way,  Know what mill you will be using is maybe the first step in the process, and knowing which techniques of loading and off bearing the lumber for that specific mill would be next. Reducing the amount of steps is always a time saver, as well as having a way to pick up the bundles once sawn, double handling is not the preferred choice.  Removing the waste can be the same, knowing where it's going when you are at that point should be figured out.  There are lots of threads on many set ups already posted with all kinds of great ideas, in addition to you tube.  Visits to mills that are running might even be the better option.  Hope you get it figured out, plan on being flexible, things may change as the process evolves.  welcome to the forum,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

johnjbc

Welcome to the forum from another Central Pa Sawyer. Your welcome to look at my setup but I'll warn you that it's not something you would want to copy.. I have a 20 x 48 shed on the end of my barn that I pull the mill into. To get a log on the mill I drop it outside and push it in long wise with the skid steer. Not very efficient, but I only cut a log or 2 when I need a few boards. I have some timber ground about 75 miles away, and pull the mill out there if needed.   
Where in Central Pa are you located?
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

CJF1981

Great feedback guys.  Thanks.  Johnjbc, I am just north of State College near the Kylertown I-80 exit.  Grassflat is a small village there.  I am lucky in that my land that is mostly woods is only 2 miles north of my home which is convenient.  If I set up in the building, I feel the only way I can get logs larger than 10 feet wide (since my door is 12 feet wide) is to push or pull the log from one end.  Time consuming but I'm still not sure the setup time involved for a portable sawmill.

rimshot

I presume that if you get an LT15 it will be the model on wheels (go).  I have an LT10 I mounted aboard a flat boat trailer frame.  The saw has a rail sectiions sufficient to cut to 11' 8". My LT10 is kept clean and new because when I am done I blow it off with  leaf blower back the unit inside the barn out of the weather.

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Thank You Sponsors!