iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet gum

Started by Patrick NC, March 20, 2020, 12:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Anyone ever saw any sweet gum? How hard does it cut? I have a customer who wants me to saw some for him and I never cut any before. About 2 weeks since it's been cut down so still pretty green. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Patrick NC

That's hilarious.  I told my customer I couldn't guarantee how it would behave because I know how twisted it is from trying to split it. I never had any on the mill mostly because I haven't been doing it long. I was just wondering if it cut easy, or hard like oak?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Sawmill Man

It saws easy in my experience
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

Depends upon the use.  If it's for Board & Batten siding, nail the boards up green.

If it's for beams/timbers, center the pith.

If it is for lumber for projects, quarter saw it and tell us where to send the flowers.  ::)  Tell the customer that it is spiral grain which should give an indication of what the lumber will do.  :-X

This is the sides of some timbers that were sawn from larger logs.  It can be very pretty.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

It saws like butter but dries like pringles.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Good tip on quarter sawing it.  I enjoy milling it, but seems like it stinks. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

The last pic shows the annual growth rings with the spiral grain, seen as different angles of the cells (what our eye sees as grain).  If you saw boards, i.e. 1" stock, and you do not quartersaw it, cut shorter log lengths because you can use woodworking equipment like jointers and planers to flatten it if you have the time, money, and patience.  Expect a significant % of loss/waste due to twist and warp unless you have large logs and quartersaw them.  One of the most difficult woods to dry flat.  Heartwood color is beautiful, though.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

I cut some SG 1x4, 2x4 and 4x4 to make pallets once.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

Thanks for all the tips. I believe he is going to use it right away for siding on a large shed, so I guess we'll give it a go and see what happens. 

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2020, 03:26:56 PMIf it's for Board & Batten siding, nail the boards up green.
Be sure to turn the boards "bark side in" so that the board's edges will cup inward.  Do not allow any roof runoff spatter.  I like to see a chamfer on the board's bottom which creates a sharp drip surface and prevents water from wetting the board's bottom.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

That wood rots faster than pin oak.

Magicman

If allowed to stay wet or have any ground contact, then yes.  For B&B siding, it does very well if the proper precautions are taken.

APope

Seems to work well for rocking chair rockers..
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

farmfromkansas

There was a shop selling what they called Tupelo Gum trim once, it was beautiful trim, but the base would kink. Didn't seem to have trouble with the casing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 20, 2020, 04:53:01 PM
It saws like butter but dries like pringles.   :D
This is not the author just being jovial. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!