Hm122 vs Hm126

Started by hillsman, September 10, 2023, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillsman

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the hm126 while they are running a special to reduce stock. I really don't have trees over than 22 inch diameter so I think the 122 would work fine.  For those of you who may know, is the 126 worth the additional $700 (9.5hp).  Is it anyone's experience that once you start milling trees that people give you logs from their property?
Glenn

hillsman

I just found a topic showing this so maybe it will answer most of my questions. I've got to get better on my search queries.
Glenn

btulloh

Get the 126 and get the big engine too.

You'll run into logs bigger than 22 at some point. Plus you'll have 22" logs with sweep at times. Butt flares, crotches, etc. Will require more width as well. 

Noboy ever wished their mill was narrower or they had less horsepower. I've sawed a lot with the HM126 and the only engine available at the time was the 9.5. Worked, but need more hp.  More hp allows you to saw faster and get more bf out a blade before sharpening. 
HM126

btulloh

And . . .

Order at least one track extension at the same time you order a mill. Saves a lot on shipping and you'll want a longer track sooner rather than later.

(You'd get a lot more feedback if you asked an admin to move your post to "sawmills and milling.)
HM126

Wlmedley

I bought a new 126 a couple years ago and am quite happy with it.I also went with the 14hp engine.Don't really know how much difference the extra hp makes but it sure doesn't hurt. I have had max size logs on it several times and had no trouble cutting them but turning them is a pain.I would rather cut smaller stuff if possible.Yes , I have had several logs given to me especially pine and poplar which is not much good for firewood.If you have a way to haul them people will give you logs just to keep from having to deal with them.Just have to watch for metal.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

thecfarm

I always like to buy something bigger than what I need.
Then a year later it's just the right size.
For sure on the extension too.
I have a sawmill that will cut a 20 foot log. I bought the 4 foot extension. I have never cut a 20 foot log. But that extra 4 feet gives me four more foot of track when I have a 16 foot log instead of just inches.
It also allows me to get the head out of the way too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rusticretreater

Yes folks will give you big logs.  You will also see big logs when you are driving down the road and might want to stop and inquire.  I find free logs on craigslist in my area.  I have two huge walnut logs that a guy just wanted gone.  The branches were all huge too.

Of course you are then spending money on trailers, winches, log arches, chainsaws too.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

hillsman

Thanks for the input, just like everyone I'm looking for the best deal. I do like the extra features on the 126 over the 122. I'm just trying to be realistic about how much I'm going to be sawing. 
Glenn

thecfarm

On the how much you will be sawing.
If you enjoy it, you will saw more.  ;)
I'm not a rich man, but if I can spend $1000 more to make it easier, I am a spending.
Not like I spend $1000 to make it easy once. 
I spend $1000 to make it easier many times!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79