iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda got the bug

Started by donbj, December 01, 2020, 02:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

ALWAYS better than a "lean" burn up and meltdown.
Trying harder everyday.

donbj

Got the 380 apart and ready for some parts. Ticked myself off pretty good and had to stop for a beer. Got ahead of myself splitting the case and didn't take the cylinder gasket off and neatly ripped it in half as I spread it apart! Oh well I'll figure out what gasket material matches and make my own.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on December 03, 2020, 12:16:34 AM
The fellow I bought it from said he did the top end. How long ago I didn’t ask. Maybe that’s why it’s on the rich side. Maybe I should leave it for a few tanks
Do you know what setting HIGH is turned out?  Sure, if you wanna be uber safe let it run fat for few tankfuls. Did the PO tell you what he used in the top end? Hopefully not one of those $35 P&C sets.

When I put new Cabers in, I polished the cylinder but I could not find a new wrist pin anywhere. The old one had very little wear, but I hated putting it back in.

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on December 03, 2020, 09:05:22 AM
Quote from: donbj on December 03, 2020, 12:16:34 AM
The fellow I bought it from said he did the top end. How long ago I didn't ask. Maybe that's why it's on the rich side. Maybe I should leave it for a few tanks
Do you know what setting HIGH is turned out?  Sure, if you wanna be uber safe let it run fat for few tankfuls. Did the PO tell you what he used in the top end? Hopefully not one of those $35 P&C sets.

When I put new Cabers in, I polished the cylinder but I could not find a new wrist pin anywhere. The old one had very little wear, but I hated putting it back in.

Kevin
The high speed was 1 turn out and low 1-1/4 out. I think I'll leave it for now. Next time I run into PO I'll ask a few questions.
The cylinder is an SK 833/1B. It has a B stamped on top. The SK is a top quality brand and was used on these so it all looks legit. He probably re-ringed it.
Got more videos done too.

I see it KS, not SK on the cylinder.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Here's the 034 Super. This is another saw I found in the recycle metal pile, tossed away. The clutch had grenaded in it and did some superficial damage in that area and took the outlet fitting off the chain oil pump so had to buy a new oil pump from Stihl, clutch, bar/chain, and aftermarket clutch cover. Other than that I did nothing to it except adjust the carb a bit. There was no damage to the brake at all. The thing sings along quite nice!
Stihl 034 Super - YouTube

donbj

Here's the Jonsered 2065 Turbo. This one was tossed as well for reasons I cannot think of or figure out. It was sitting there with bar and chain off and all it took was gas and oil and it is what it is. Haven't touched any carb setting or anything. Cut about 5 cords of wood with it since I got it.
Jonsered 2065 Turbo - YouTube

donbj

And my 262XP. Bought this brand new in 95 or 96, can't remember the exact year. Hasn't had any work done to it at all and has cut a lot of wood.
Husqvarna 262XP - YouTube

sawguy21

I don't get it either. Maybe it's easier to whip out the credit card than spending a little time making easy repairs. I got a Homelite 922 off the scrap pile because the shop refused to work on it, I put a carb kit in it. A young fellow gave me his grandpas  running Husky L65, he refused to use it without a chain brake. Also got a low hours Mac 10-10 which started on the third pull, Macs don't usually do that. The guy didn't like the noise.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Not a lot of guys like fiddling with these things any more. To our benefit though :D. I probably went a bit overkill on the Stihl, but maybe not. I have about $280 bucks into it. Went with the Stihl oil pump instead of the off shore one that was 1/5th the price. Went with quality clutch,bar,chain as well. I think it was worth the coin.

The Jonsered I still wonder the story behind that one. It was tossed into the waste bin along with a Poulan 3314(i gave that to my neighbor).

Real1shepherd

Used to be a lot of Jonsereds on eBay that had points....cheap. That all changed with collectors, but points still get the ol' fish eye for many with respect to working saws.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!