iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question

Started by Peter Drouin, June 01, 2015, 07:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Where I mill here all the time I'm trying to be as efficient as I can with the sawing, so I made a table over the hydro box to work with the drag back.

And It works well. The lumber passes over it.
In this pic I put a roller on some 1x2s to show what I want to do, Start over  :D :D
Sometimes a slab will hit the Wood Mizer steel table and get hung up. So I want to take off the WM table and have a long one and put in the rollers all the way to the first board support.

Has any one done this or something like it.
I do work alone most times, But If I can set this up right 2 men should be able to put out a lot of lumber in an hr .

See how I made a table for the edger where I can put lumber in and it will push the wood and fall off to the side onto the 4x4s and I don't have to go around till I'm done. like 30 or 40 boards.

So what do  y'all think. ;D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WoodenHead

I have the same table and so far have never encountered a board hung up on it.  (Now it's going to happen to me for sure  :D)  Does it only happen when sawing 8' logs?  Moving the 10's and 12's closer to the table would likely reduce the chance of it happening.  But I think the roller idea could work.

I like your tilted table coming out of the edger.  Question for you though:  How do you handle the edgings?  Do you leave them with the boards and sort them out later?

47sawdust

You must have a better edger than me,your edgings seem to disappear,I'm callin' WM first thing in the a.m. to find out what I'm missing.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WoodenHead on June 01, 2015, 07:55:51 PM
I have the same table and so far have never encountered a board hung up on it.  (Now it's going to happen to me for sure  :D)  Does it only happen when sawing 8' logs?  Moving the 10's and 12's closer to the table would likely reduce the chance of it happening.  But I think the roller idea could work.

I like your tilted table coming out of the edger.  Question for you though:  How do you handle the edgings?  Do you leave them with the boards and sort them out later?

If the log is tall the slab tilts and will catch the bottom edge of it.
And yes. I sort them out later, I pick them up with the forks and pull the lumber and dump the edging in the rack. It only takes a min to do that. With a #2 man he can sticker too as we go. :D :D

Quote from: 47sawdust on June 01, 2015, 08:09:47 PM
You must have a better edger than me,your edgings seem to disappear,I'm callin' WM first thing in the a.m. to find out what I'm missing.

:D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I've been experimenting in the same area. In actually thinking of getting a bunch of short hoses and moving the hydro box so I can put a short conveyor in there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 01, 2015, 09:05:48 PM
I've been experimenting in the same area. In actually thinking of getting a bunch of short hoses and moving the hydro box so I can put a short conveyor in there.

My mill is not wireless and I have to reach the hydro handles. So the table has to stop there.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Sell your mill to WDH and buy that wide head wireless.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 01, 2015, 09:54:30 PM

Maybe, then he will have to figure out the table thing. and when he's not cutting wood he and red oaks can crack peanuts on it. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Ouch, now that would steal Danny's thunder.   :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 01, 2015, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 01, 2015, 09:54:30 PM

Maybe, then he will have to figure out the table thing. and when he's not cutting wood he and red oaks can crack peanuts on it. :D :D

You're on a roll tonight Peter!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

if it works use it, til you get or need more speed,  looks good to me,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 01, 2015, 10:09:12 PM

You're on a roll tonight Peter!  :D

Thats becouse I did not run the mill sat or sun. In fact I only sold some lumber and did nothing.  zzzz_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 01, 2015, 07:43:59 PM
Where I mill here all the time I'm trying to be as efficient as I can with the sawing, so I made a table over the hydro box to work with the drag back.

And It works well. The lumber passes over it.
In this pic I put a roller on some 1x2s to show what I want to do, Start over  :D :D
Sometimes a slab will hit the Wood Mizer steel table and get hung up. So I want to take off the WM table and have a long one and put in the rollers all the way to the first board support.

Has any one done this or something like it.
I do work alone most times, But If I can set this up right 2 men should be able to put out a lot of lumber in an hr .

See how I made a table for the edger where I can put lumber in and it will push the wood and fall off to the side onto the 4x4s and I don't have to go around till I'm done. like 30 or 40 boards.

So what do  y'all think. ;D :D
I have had the same problem on my 70 with fat 8 footers. I built a removable table that I would drop into place whenever I was cutting them short fatties..I had to make it removable because when I cut large 24 footers, the flared butt would wreck it...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sandsawmill14

looks good but im no help i have a timberking b20 i use a short green chain so everything comes off the back of mill i also dont have to edge a board customer takes care of that ;D (except for cedar and cypress then i have to do it on mill :( )
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

customsawyer

I have a different table on my mill. I added a roller from a toe board roller to it and it helps but it takes a beating from the heavy slabs. I have roller tables at the tongue of my mill with just enough room for my hand to get in there to operate the hyd.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!