iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oaks

Started by xlogger, April 18, 2018, 04:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

On red oaks do you find that pin oaks or sometimes we call them willow oaks don't dried and stay stable as other red oaks? In the past I've heard someone say something in that effect on them. I'm going to try to get a couple to quarter saw.
Also I'm going to quarter saw a sycamore today, would you dry it slow or fast with fans?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I believe that they are prone to bacterial infections and that makes them harder to dry.  Once the wood is dry though, should be OK.

I run fans on sycamore.  I start with the fan about 5 or 6 feet back from the stack. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

firefighter ontheside

I had bad luck with my dining table that I made from pin oak.  That may have had more to do with me not drying it properly.  It was the first log I took to a mill.  I didn't let it dry long enough.  Then I didn't build with shrinkage in mind.  Now I have a table with large cracks.  I will eventually make a new top out of walnut that has been dried appropriately.

My book, "Knowing Your Trees" from 1985 says that Pin Oak has a reputation for being difficult to season.  Pin oak grows quickly which may play a part in the difficulty.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The drying difference between pin oak and northern red oak is minor.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!