iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wife wants me to cut my hair

Started by RobbyRob, December 14, 2011, 10:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I never did have extremely long hair although for about two years it was about shoulder length .About 20 or so years ago I got tired of fooling with it .

Never had a flat top probabley never will .I get a charge out of people who have hair but make it look they don't . Can't for the life of me figure why in the world somebody would shave their noggin .However it's their head they can do as they please with it . :)

zopi

Wife wishes I would cut mine...but after twenty years of being told how when and seldom why, I think I am entitled to be a slob for awhile.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

I never have equated long hair with being a slob. That be two things I learned today. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

RR, only cut it if you want to cut it. 
Once upon a time I had rather long hair.  I kept it in a braid that came down to my waist.  When I did cut it I kept the braid.  It is still hanging on a peg downstairs.
When I retired, I retired my barber as well  ;).  I won't let it get as long as it was because it becomes a safety issue around chainsaws and other rapidly rotating bits  :o

Heck, who am I kidding?  I don't think I can grow it as long as it was, nor as thick  ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Chuck White

I have always wondered how anyone with long hair (women included) could safely work in an industrial setting.

When I was in the Air Force, I had to go to the machine shop for something one day (I forget what) and about 20 minutes before I got there, one of the women that worked in the shop got her hair snagged in a drill press and it not only pulled the hair, but also took about 2½ inch piece of scalp.

It's just hard for me to visualize long hair (I'm not talking about shoulder length, I'm saying middle of the back) working around sawmills, chainsaws, PTO shafts, etc.

But then again, it should be hard for me to visualize this because my hair has never been over 3-4 inches long!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPIKER

Quote from: Chuck White on December 18, 2011, 09:12:18 AM
got her hair snagged in a drill press and it not only pulled the hair, but also took about 2½ inch piece of scalp.

It's just hard for me to visualize long hair (I'm not talking about shoulder length, I'm saying middle of the back) working around sawmills, chainsaws, PTO shafts, etc.

it is not hard to do, one you keep your hair away from those things, and also your head in general!   

Back  in High school body shop I had shoulder length hair and one of my biddies had similar length hair.   He was running  a Die Grinder and did similar to that girl, snagged his hir right in front of his face hair  line with it, running 15K rpm will wined up 5" or hair in a heart beat the grinder smashed him into the forehead left a nice bruise as well as a dime/quarter size missing hair.  no scalp damage lucky...

My hair is sensitive to movement had mine close to a fan just prior to cutting it all off as my maintenance supervisor asked me to cut it back some.   Working in the pottery was HOT DUSTY and really really humid year round and after 3 years my hair was pretty poor shape anyhow so I cut it off more for me than his request.   Just too hot and heavy swimming or getting out of the tub even with a full head of wet hair builds up some neck muscles...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Brad_bb

Such human hair, acting as a thermal insulator, reduces the heat transfer coeffecient.  h = q/(A*ΔT)
where
q = heat flow in input or lost heat flow , J/s = W
h = heat transfer coefficient, W/(m2K)
A = heat transfer surface area, m2
ΔT = difference in temperature between the solid surface and surrounding fluid area, K

Cutting said hair would improve thermal effeciency.  Thus comfort and productivity should increase proportionally as well as social interactions with customers and the community.  A by product of this process may also be additionally loveydovey and whoopi.  ....from and Engineering perspective.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Corley5

I had my hair shoulder length once upon a time long ago.  No dreds.  I like my hair combed.  I went to the barber shop the day before I had to appear in court  ;) ;D  I've been into low maintenance ever since.  I have the barber leave just enough to run a comb through  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

I'm lazy. Decided a pony tail was too much work so I now use a number 2 all over and call it done. Lasts a few weeks to a month.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

5quarter

For many years I wore my hair to the middle of my back. Then one day my young son observed that Daddy had "girl" hair. Got it cut the next day and that was the end of that. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

martyinmi

Quote from: 5quarter on December 20, 2011, 01:09:06 PM
   For many years I wore my hair to the middle of my back. Then one day my young son observed that Daddy had "girl" hair. Got it cut the next day and that was the end of that. ;)
That exact same thing happened when I was 44 and my son was 4. Almost 6 years with short hair now.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

OneWithWood

You all missed an opportunity to educate your kids  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cedarman

I know of a caver that got her hair caught in her rappel rack going down a pit. Went to cut her hair out. Grazed the rope with the knife and that was it. She fell to her death.  There was a movie out a few months ago about a bunch of cavers and one scene showed the same thing.  Better to lose scalp than a life.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

martyinmi

Quote from: OneWithWood on December 21, 2011, 10:41:55 AM
You all missed an opportunity to educate your kids  :D
I believe I seized an opportunity to lead by example :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Radar67

Quote from: Cedarman on December 21, 2011, 10:29:58 PM
I know of a caver that got her hair caught in her rappel rack going down a pit. Went to cut her hair out. Grazed the rope with the knife and that was it.

I had to cut a girl's hair on a 54 foot rappel tower once. I had a climbers safety knife to prevent this type accident. The girl was none too happy with me when she got to the ground. It's sad to hear about incidents like this Cedarman.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Red Pill

Thank You Sponsors!