iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planting

Started by charles mann, August 08, 2019, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

not sure if this the right spot to post. but, I'm wanting to plant some form of trees in my hay field that i do not harvest the hay from. its gotten overgrown with junk weed, i don't own a bailer, i just cut a time or 2 a yr, or cut it once, then burn it off. so I'm not worried about it being a hay field any longer and its only 3 ac. i plan to possibly build a house in the same field, so ill leave a good section open/unplanted. 

anyways, i can get pecan saplings from nearly anywhere in my area, for free, so iv got that covered, but thinking of something like walnut too, just don't know of any walnut saplings and if walnut would ever grow in my area. 

main question is, how much natural dirt should be left around and below the saplings to ensure a good take off? i tried planting some fruit trees, but they failed miserably and i ended up mowing them down. 

i was told i dug to deep and covered the tops of the root system with to much dirt. idk though, which is why I'm asking on here.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Texas Ranger

you are  on the outside of black walnut range, so should probably stick to pecan.  I say that, then think, if you have a deep soil with moisture available it might work, but a gamble.

Planting to deep is a problem, should be only slightly deeper than where they grew.  Winter months for transplanting if your digging your seedlings.  Then it is a matter of keeping the roots damp till planted.  Size matters. too big and  may be more of a problem than worth.

Your mileage will vary, others may comment, so good luck.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

You will probably have better success with whatever you plant if you plant them in the winter.  An old saying hold pretty try when planting, "plant them low, they won't grow, plant them high, they won't die".  The top of the highest root should probably be about an inch above grade.  Keep the transplants watered.  If you mulch them to keep competing weeds away, keep the mulch a few inches away from the stem/trunk to prevent fungus growth.  A berm to hold the water usually helps in our sandy soil. 

Caveman

charles mann

thanks for the replies folks. i know we don't have sandy soil in my area, more like black gumbo mud when it rains and concrete when its long dry. but i could haul some sand in from the east tx area, where walnut does grow. i know ill be dead and gone before they reach their full maturity, and probably be cut down, pushed over or whatever before they would have time to produce a quality milling tree. all i can do is try and replenish what we are gathering up. i used to have a vibrant green thumb, but its done turned black/green. gotta get the color back 
Temple, Tx

LeeB

I've milled walnut in the central Texas area but they were few and far between. I believe they were these, 
Juglans microcarpa. 
Smaller relative of the eastern Black Walnut. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

charles mann

Quote from: LeeB on August 10, 2019, 12:50:54 AM
I've milled walnut in the central Texas area but they were few and far between.
which i would like to remedy. again, i know i won't be around when they are mature enough to make quality lumber/slabs or whatever, but i love the look of walnut and id like to try and get a grove going and hope the next owners leave them to mature
Temple, Tx

GullyBog

There's a little beetle that gets on Juglans Microcarpa.  The walnut twig beetle doesn't hurt a tree that much but it can spread a fungus called Thousand Cankers.  Texas walnut can survive Thousand Cankers, black walnut cannot.  Several years ago Thousand Cankers killed a lot of black walnut planted west of the natural range.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Thank You Sponsors!