iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UPDATE On Ancient Logging LOTS OF PICS!

Started by MemphisLogger, July 18, 2005, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

Sunday, we finally had the opportunity to go get the rest of the ancient logs that the engineers "set aside" for us.  :)

I was also corrected on the probable age of the alluvial deposit the logs came from. It's not 10,000 years but more like 12,000-15,000 years  8)

Here's the pics and story. The pics are on my server so's I could make 'em a little bigger  ;)

My good friend is a lead on the project. ;D

My friend has spent 15 years getting this project to happen. Its purpose is to stop headcutting in the creek below the project which has moved 10 miles upstream from where it started over those 15 years. By stopping the headcutting where it's at, he will in effect have preserved several 1000 acres of bottomland that would otherwise have been drained by the headcut.

The project

The engineer's idea of "setting aside" the logs

Holy smokes, that's a big Racer on that thar log

Chris Owen here is my fearless new recruit. He and my cousin, Austin, are putting together their own treecare company, largely cause they're sick of working for the poor wages that I offer 'em (cold beer) and hearing me refer 4 digit tree jobs to other fellas.  Chris has been climbing for another arborist for 3 years now while puttin' himself thru art school and he's a great addition to the crew!

Here's the whole Midtown Logging crew. That's me on the left, Austin in the middle and Chris on the right. I think these fellas like working with me just so they can go to bars and tell the missies that "Midtown Loggers do it with big hardwood"  :D

That's my buddy, Larry on the left. He's what I call a "true" environmentalist. He hunts, fishes and used to trap even. Put himself thru law school drivin' a truck and skinnin' road kill on the side. He's since used his legal savvy to stop all sorts of badly designed water projects and probably saved tens of thousands of acres of bottomland from being lost. He's my hero and prime mentor.  :)

Austin is "supervising" in the last picture while he sucks on a bottle of gatorade since he was out drinkin' tequila 'til just an hour or two before we loaded of the trucks  :D

Here the fellas are analysing what it is that makes the LogRite cant hook so fine

We snatched the logs out of the pile using the winch on the front of my 'Yota and then rolled 'em right up some 12', 6"x6" oak ramps on to the back of Austin's F-600.

Larry did a fine job holding that log all by himself while me and my cuz clowned for the camera ;D

here's some of the haul . . .

This one still kinda smelled like sarsparilla

A Gum or Poplar maybe

Walnut with root flare attached

Maybe Oak

Cypress, we think. Sorry for the pic being out of focus. It was either getting too dark for my f1.7 lens or I'd had too much of the stuff in the brown bottle  ;) ;D

Only bad part of the day . . .

We bent the tip on our LogRite   :'( but Austin says it actually works even better now  ???

Stay tuned for pics of the the sawin' . . .

:)         
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Gilman

Thanks for the great pics  8) Can't wait to see what's inside those logs.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

OneWithWood

Looks like a fun job.  Thanks for sharing it with us. 
What are your plans for the wood?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MemphisLogger

Gilman,

Only thing I like better than sawing logs is bragging about it  ;D :D :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

MemphisLogger

My pleasure, OWW!

I'm likely to saw it all live-edged and butterfly it back together best I can for Nakashima style tables.  :) 

Tom

Be careful about which roots you cut off of the rootball.  You could be throwing away money.  :D

MemphisLogger

Quote from: Tom on July 18, 2005, 12:41:26 PM
Be careful about which roots you cut off of the rootball.  You could be throwing away money.  :D

I'm sorry, Tom  :-[

We couldn't figure out how to roll 'em with all the rrots still intact :(

BTW, those are some awesome sculptures! Did you do 'em? 

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!