iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford lgt 165 mower

Started by bigred1951, October 01, 2017, 12:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

My dad give me his old ford lgt 165 closed side mower that he had I know 20 plus years. He quit using it a few years ago because the deck just got to rusty. Does anybody know a place to get parts or diagrams. He had the deck off in pieces and one side and air cleaner off and don't remember why. I'm pretty sure it's all there just in pieces. He had tried to find a deck but apparently they are hard to find.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigred1951

No I couldn't find anything other then other people looking for parts. I tried to get it started gas line clogged fixed that. Then cleaned the plug still no spark so I quit for the day.

sawguy21

That is going to be a tough one, it was built by Homelite-Jacobsen who disappeared almost 30 years ago. Search e-bay for a parts machine and make one out of two or three.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigred1951

I didn't see much parts on eBay. Actually found a guy on Craigslist that had two of them one had a 42" deck the other a 50". I think they also had a snow blade and plow or something but was asking $1100 for it all. Way to much for my wallet.

Kbeitz

If it's made by Homelite then I might have one. Could you post a picture
of yours ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigred1951

Can't get a pic to post from my phone. I know it's a Ford LGT 165 what they call a closed side. Kohler motor. I think they was made from 70s to mid 80s

snowstorm

i got one. might be a 145. motor needs to be refreshed. mower deck is a bit rusty. also have a tiller and snow blower and a nice cab

Hilltop366

Were they the same tractor that were sold under the Lawnboy and Gilson names?

sawguy21

No. Gilson and Lawnboy were swallowed up by Toro. The Jacobsen consumer division was dissolved when John Deere bought Homelite in the late 80's, they are still in the turf equipment business.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigred1951

I just know so far parts a few and far and pricey

bigred1951

Was looking today because I thought well I'll clean the points see if I can get spark. Well no idea where the points are at on the old Kohler. All there is is a condenser a coil then something I guess is a regulator with three prongs with the plug in on it

Kbeitz

Kohler points is most of the time under a little box on he side of the engine.
Box size is around 2-1/2" x 1". One black wire should be coming from under the cover.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigred1951

Well I bought a parts mower for $100. The deck is good shape needs a couple rust holes fixed but a lot better then my old one. Finally got it to start and run. But will only run with choke pulled out. If push choke in it dies. So probably looking at getting the carb rebuilt

Kbeitz

Most of the time you can buy a new carb off E-bay cheaper than you can rebuild one.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigred1951

I'll have to look and see. It's a 16hp kohler. I can't remember what series they called them. The parts mower is a 12hp would it make much of a difference if I put that carb on the 16hp see if it'll run better

Kbeitz

I think the body of the carb will be smaller and  probably the jets.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!