iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muddy Logs

Started by kensfarm, December 31, 2014, 12:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kensfarm

I'm really giving the logs a mud bath getting them to the trailor.   The farm field is too sloppy for the trailor.. this field just weaps water.. hasn't dryed much in 2 years.. doesn't freeze even in the teens.  My tractor has no problem w/ it.. just trying to get as much done while I still have the permission.  I'm pulling out blown over & leaner trees from Hurricane Sandy on a 50 acre of woods that belong to the farm across the road from me.. hickory, ash, & white oak mostly. 

For those that log for a living.. what do the mills do if your logs are really muddy?   I will probably have to wash any logs that are mill worthy.. the firewood can clean itself. 

Bert

Ive never had a problem selling muddy logs. The buyer might groan a little when scaling them but never any issues beyond that. The mills debark logs so no real issue for them.
Saw you tomorrow!

David-L

Never had a problem with saw logs, Log length cordwood heading for the processer with mud will get you a call and maybe a few nice words.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

chevytaHOE5674

When I bought logs mud was never a problem on plain sawlogs, but I wouldn't buy them for veneer because it was almost impossible to look for all the defects.

clww

We've never had a deduction for dirt or mud on the logs we've sent. As posted previous, the debarker takes care of that.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kensfarm

Thanks guys!  Temp. dropped last night.. at least the loading area froze.. bumpy.  Getting some nice logs.. and pulling firewood too.  Oh.. and Happy New Year!     

CCC4

Good question! I have a dual card to play here...when I ran my own horse logging show, I absolutely battered some logs in black glade mud. Glade dirt is really dark, really gritty with sand and setting on top of sand stone. I at the time was also the head sawyer at the mill I was cutting timber for....so, in order to not wanna punch myself in the face for bringing in my own set of headaches...I power washed them! Seriously...I did this! Lol! When you skid through glade mud, you also pick up a lot of flint chips and other gravels, the mud accumulates in the limb areas. I was tired of dulling my saw and chipping teeth so....I grabbed a huge heated powerwasher and went to work while they were on the green chain!   8)

I got to where any muddy logs going to the band saw were always washed also. Now this was pretty serious mud and not something I did on a regular basis, just depended on the mud and how much gravel was on the logs.

CCC4

I got to thinking about my post...it would may seem that shutting down a high production sawmill to wash logs would be silly...however teeth are xpensive and time consuming to change out. I personally only used SiCr wide kerf bits at $1.75 a piece, they were good "mudders" really...normal muddy logs were not a problem. I have maintained 60" saws with Carbide teeth, oh *DanG does flint rock do a number on them! Jeez! A de-barker isn't uncommon to see at larger hardwood mills! Lol! I mean I think "Dominators" are either $2.75 a piece or $3.75 a piece. I have seen some bits up to $6 before. Those gravels and fines chip the Hell off the corners...I mean literally chip off! So,it doesn't take long to cost some money real quick like.

Southside

Not meaning to hijack the thread but what did you run for horses?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

CCC4

Belgians and I had 2 light draft mules. I only pulled 1 up most of the time due to I was cutting ERC.

timberlinetree

I've seen a power was her at a mill that cut beems.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

square1

QuoteTemp. dropped last night.. at least the loading area froze.. bumpy
Same, and it's about time!  Spent time smoothing out the muddy ruts two days before it froze, then someone called and just had to have a load of wood the next day.  Didn't get it smoothed back out before it froze, it's going to be a tooth jarring winter now ;)

coxy

should have told them the wood is free but you have to fix the ruts  :D

Warped

I wash any logs that possibly have dirt. My land is very sandy, the area had many glass factories at the turn of the last century.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!