iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busting a boulder

Started by kkcomp, May 10, 2024, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkcomp

Not tree related but any suggestions on busting up big boulders?
Why is there never time to do it right but always time to do it over?
Rework is the bane of my existence
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

thecfarm

Depends on how hard it is.
The  rayrock I have are all hard. Not sledgehammer material.
There are some you tube on drilling and cracking them that way.
Feather and wedges will do it.
I have some that I can not move with my 40hp tractor. Theses are 4-5-6 feet across.
I have looked into this, but have not bought anything yet.
I was going to rent a drill and drill the holes then do the splitting when done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

have you looked into Dexpan?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

kkcomp

Thanks for the suggestions. Done the drilling and Dexpan and even wedges and feathers. These suckers are hard and about 8 feet. My construction size backhoe can't even lift them. I don't want to have to get a jackhammer :( 
Norwood HD38 Kubota B3300HSU Honda Rancher many Stihl and Echo saws, JCB 1400b Backhoe

tule peak timber

I move mine (granite) with drills and a hammer. The last one took 30 days to cut down 6 feet and maybe 8 feet wide to get the back of the shop in. I have more pics somewhere of the ordeal. I will be using the expanding material next time in front of the shop expansion as manually breaking rock works, but it is really hard work. I used to do irrigation lines the same way-straight through- but started just going around boulders with fittings lately. Our granite varies from hard to glass-like in sizes up to 20-30 foot nuggets. Paid plenty for pros to bang away with hydraulic rock hammers, Cats, Bobcats, etc. All they do is run up bills if they don't know what they are doing! We snapped a 12 foot oak slab into two pieces today, along a pre-determined fracture line. Piece of cake, LOL. Gotta learn to read the rock just like you do wood or hire someone who actually knows what they are doing! LOL  
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

kkcomp

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 10, 2024, 08:42:32 PMI move mine (granite) with drills and a hammer. The last one took 30 days to cut down 6 feet and maybe 8 feet wide to get the back of the shop in. I have more pics somewhere of the ordeal. I will be using the expanding material next time in front of the shop expansion as manually breaking rock works, but it is really hard work. I used to do irrigation lines the same way-straight through- but started just going around boulders with fittings lately. Our granite varies from hard to glass-like in sizes up to 20-30 foot nuggets. Paid plenty for pros to bang away with hydraulic rock hammers, Cats, Bobcats, etc. All they do is run up bills if they don't know what they are doing! We snapped a 12 foot oak slab into two pieces today, along a pre-determined fracture line. Piece of cake, LOL. Gotta learn to read the rock just like you do wood or hire someone who actually knows what they are doing! LOL 
Hire somebody? What and miss all this fun LOL

Southside

How close is it to items sensitive to over pressure and shock waves? "Things that Make You go BOOM" would have been a Top 40 hit had the other version not come out sooner.  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

I used to just dig a big hole next to the rock and roll it in. So to have 2 or 3 feet of dirt over it. Then have all that extra dirt to spread. ffcheesy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I have people suggest I bury rayrock too.  smiley_thumbsdown  Just found more that way!!!
Then I have to fill the hole up and I go someplace else to dig and found more rocks.
When I had my land logged the guy made a mess of the road to the back field. Brough in his excavator and leveled it out. I had him dig in a spot for me so I could get some dirt, many  rayrock were found.
When the foundation was dug for the house, there was a few  rayrock there too.!!!!!!
Had to bring in the blasting guys for the bedroom. He mentioned about moving the foundation a little, but as I said, 4 feet away could be another big  rayrock.
I wanted the house a certain way for the view too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

We had one job where I moved the house further and further down the hill trying to get off the rock. We ended up blasting anyway. The crew said it was the hardest DanG limestone they had ever shot. The engineer said it was about 5 minutes shy of being marble  ffcheesy. We were building next door a year or two later and Ifound some of our shot rock, oops. Then a few years later we were building on the hill across from that one. The surface was covered in sandstone, they wanted a basement and I warned them of what we had run into across the way. We pushed the surface rocks away and never hit another one. 

On the last "hey let's put a foundation under an existing house" job, the rock was starting to get harder than the jackhammer and demo hammer so I plumbed the skidsteer for running a rock hammer but it got back into manageable by then so I've never tried it. I may rent one and head over to the cliff at some point just to see how it does. That granite is tied right to the hubs I think.  Dexpan does work well on that hard rock, the softer stuff just absorbs the expansion without much damage. It works even better if you can find a young man to run the drill!

barbender

Tule, your comment about reading the material reminded me of a story that I often get a chuckle from. A buddy told me how his Dad, who has always lacked patience and has a bit if a hair trigger, was training with a stone mason. 

The mason would hold a rock, and study it for a minute. Then give it a quick crack with his hammer and it would neatly fall in two. 

So then his Dad would look at his rock for a bit. Give it a hit with the hammer. Then another. And another and another. He'd lose his cool and give the rock a good beating, but the rock was no worse for wear. He found that stone masonry wasn't the career for him😂

This Dad was also famous for his chainsaw throwing skills😂
Too many irons in the fire

KEC

My neighbor says that he has broken up rocks by building a fire around them. They will heat up uneavenly and the stress will crack them. Marshmallows are optional.

Don P

I did fires and water on the ~pickup sized one mostly buried behind the barn. We won about 20 years later when it broke into small enough pieces to move.

thecfarm

I have heard my Father say that about fire. 
Takes a lot of wood to do it.

Thank You Sponsors!