iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small electric 5 ton electric wood splitters

Started by Woodpecker52, January 04, 2019, 10:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodpecker52

Any ideas out there for alternative uses for a 5 ton electric wood splitter.  The one I have is slow but has a hard time splitting firewood unless the wood is super dry.  I bought this because it was so cheap and I am so cheap.  I did grind off the split wedge end and replaced it by welding an axe head and this seems to have increased its splitting ability by 75%. Could it be made into a log turner since it is a complete hydraulic unit  etc.  Some ideas guys!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Brucer

I bought the 4-ton version when I was burning slabs. Instead of splitting the wider slabs before putting them in the woodshed, I'd stack the slabs as-is and then split the bigger ones as I needed them.

These days slabs only account for about half my firewood. I've found the splitter will handle rounds of many species but not the really large diameter ones. So I've been splitting the really big ones with a splitting mall or a sledge hammer and splitting wedge. Most of the time I only have to split the big ones in half. Then the 4-ton splitter will easily break down the halves.

My splitter is mounted on a sturdy table about 2' high. It's the perfect working height for me.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

lil171

As an alternative use, we had made a block to cover the wedge and square it off, and just used it as a hydraulic press. Remove the block and its back to wood duty.

Thank You Sponsors!