iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geothermal systems

Started by D._Frederick, January 21, 2011, 04:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Any body using geothermal systems to heat homes. This system uses pipes buried in the ground to collect heat with a heatpump.

Furnace oil is pushing $3 a gallon, I need something cheaper than oil. Wood is not an option because of back problems.

wayne186

Depends on how much space you have.. if you have a few acres and a backhoe you could do it yourself but you will need to do the calculations on how many linear feet of pipe you need and buy a water to air heat exchanger.. another option (and may be a better one for you if you have an abundance of wood) is to build yourself an outdoor wood furnace.. pm me and I will send you the plans I have drawn up.

doctorb

Would suggest hitting the search button at the top of the page.  My recollection is that there was a geothermal thread not long ago.

Be prepared to shell out a lot of green to go green!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

red oaks lumber

around here geo. is running between $15,000 - $25,000 installed . thats alot of coin
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Bandmill Bandit

I have a neighbour that has geothermal and he still burns a lot of wood. His electric bill to run the heat pumps has been as high as 600+ a month a few winters ago. That is why he is burning as much wood as he can. Total install for him was just over the 30K mark. About 5 years ago he said he wont do it again.

I will check with him over the week end and see if he has changed his mind at all. He has had it for about 8 years now.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Rocky_Ranger

I had an open loop geothermal heat pump in my last residence in Arkansas.  It was 20 years old and worked three or four times more efficient than my air to air (had two of 'em in one house - it was a big house).  The well was already on site when the unit was installed, but the water exited the system (open loop).  Would freeze you in summer and run you out in winter.  The well pump pulled the most power, estimate it cost ~$5,000 20 years ago according to the installer.  If you have a backhoe or ditch witch, or access to one and can lay a closed loop yourself it might be worth looking into.  If I ever build again I will have one; that and radiant in-floor heat.......
RETIRED!

reberly

I have a well insulated house in Michigan with an open geothermal.  It is a bard.  My AT&T bill is higher on an annual basis than my electrical bill including the geothermal.  I don't have gas or oil to the house.  It was about $15,000 installed plus $3000 for the well and the water outlet in the pond is a great way to attract deer in the winter hunting season when it is the only open water... ::)  Anyway, it works well.  I use a wood burning stove to give the compressor a break on cold nights and I keep my house at 75 since my wife is from southern japan (can't stand the cold).  I have had it for 2 years and so far I like it.
Rich
http://Eberlywoods.com

Big lumber is our legacy

Qweaver

We've had our system since Nov. of 2009 and are completely satisfied.  There have been several threads on the forums so a search may answer many of your questions.  The 30% tax rebate puts a geo system very close to the same price as a regular HVAC system.  The new systems seem to work very well.  We plan to shut down our pellet stove for all of Feb. just to get a real test of what it costs to run.  I'm certain it is way less than using pellets.  We just like have the fire burning.  The house is much more evenly heated with the geo.  It really makes no sense burning pellets...we just like it.   ::)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Bandmill Bandit

I checked with my neighbour how his system is working now. He told me he had a faulty heat pump that took about a year to figure out. The manufacturer replaced it and he has been pretty happy with it since then. This is his seventh winter with the system. Said it does use about 75 to 80 in power a month on the coldest months now. It is open loop and he has 4 wells about 160 feet deep he said. pre heats his water too and then runs it through a Bosch demand heater to raise to final temp. Figures hot water and heat would average around 50 to 60 a month annual as prices for gas water stand right now.

He is using his wood boiler right now to get rid of the wood in his back yard  so he can build a shop in the spring. After the wood is gone the wood boiler is back up in case of utility break down. The circulation pumps run on 12 volt and he has a battery pack with a couple of solar panels on his roof also has a lot of 12V lighting in the house as well.

Figures he has about 45K and 50K invested in the whole system including the battery pack and solar stuff. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kansas

If they still have it, there was a 30% tax credit towards putting in a system. You could carry the credit forward if you couldn't use it all in one year. I have a  closed loop system laying at the bottom of a pond.

Autocar

We have alot of the new style where they drill a well like hole then off the main well they drill I believe four other wells at angles then tie all the lines togather and then it is circulated though the system into the house. My freind has it and it cost around $25,000.00  what floored me was he has paralleled four ought copper I guess it pulls alot of amps when it first kicks on. His house [ To me fells cool ] but there toasty warm living there. For me at 63 I wouldn't ever pay for it but a young fellow probably something to consider. The new high school they just built here has 250 of these drilled and thats how they heat and cool the building. The best part in my opinion there not wasting ground water. The system just uses the ground to warm the fuild inside the pipes.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!