iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delta 46-450 Lathe & 1st project pic(s)

Started by Dana, March 05, 2009, 08:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I purchased this lathe on Craigs List last weekend. It came with a new set of Marples turning tools and a couple small inboard face plates. I am now looking for an outboard face plate and one of those expanding jaw type fixtures. Does anyone have a source for a good aftermarket fixture? I don't know what they are called or what size I would need. I think I need one to get to the next step of hollowing out this pencil holder.

Anyone know what  size Morse taper, and thread per inch/dia. this lathe uses?

By the way I think I have DodgeyLoner beat on the smallest shop. :D
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

turningfool

nice lathe dana..with a model number you should be able to find your morse taper,altho most are #2's..good lathe for hat turning 8)

Dodgy Loner

Nice lathe!  Nice elm wood, too :).

You ought to be able to measure the number of TPI, and I would suspect that it's a MT #2, but an internet search would probably give you the answer.  Oneway makes great aftermarket chucks.  I have the "talon".  Woodcraft.com has a good selection of turning tools.  Prices may seem steep at first, but you will quickly forget about the cost when you find out how good the tool is ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Radar67

Not sure if this is the type chuck you are talking about, but this is what I use to hollow bowls and turning in general.

4 Jaw Chuck
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dana

Stew, that is what I'm looking for thanks.

pasbuild

I believe your looking for fixtures with a one inch X eight thread per inch right hand thread.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dana

I'm not sure that the wood is Elm. I believe it was a Maple limb. :)

Left Coast Chris

Dana, 
What everyone is talking about is the spindle size and threads per inch of the threads on the spindle.  The spindle is the short stub shaft with threads that turns.  The size is the diameter.     The expanding chuck comes with different jaws that screw into place.  It is very important to get a chuck from a manufacturer that also makes enough good chucks for it.  One-way is the one I have and they make a number of sizes of smooth tapered jaws to grip the bottom of different sizes of bowls.  I also like the "jumbo jaws" that have rubber pieces that screw into the flat face of the jaw so you can grip the outside of the top of a bowl and work on the bottom or exand onto the inside lip of the top of the bowl to work on the bottom.  Very handy.     The grizzly is somewhat limited on the jaws you can order with it.   
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Lud

Nice turning , Dana, ..........seems you've done some of this before.  There are adapters that will let you fit almost any chuck to your spindle.  Watch out for knuckle busting chucks.  There are some fine ones out there. 

See if you can set up a reverse switch for your motor.  Makes sanding a lot better to catch the grain in both directions.

Start putting away blocks with end grain sealed with Anchorseal.  I'm getting close to 500 in the last six months which I'm sure someone will dolefully describe as a "fair start"! :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dana

Dodgey Loner, I incorrectly  identified this wood as maple. The wood came off the firewood pile and was missing its bark. It looked like maple when I selected it. ::) Today I started turning a piece of elm and it looks just like the piece in the photo.

Thank You Sponsors!