iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

preserved timbers up for auction in New Jersey

Started by sweetfarm, July 27, 2014, 12:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetfarm

Somebody near Morristown New Jersey needs to buy this!
(link removed by administrator)
It's an entire load of oak that was buried in a dam and has recently been dug up.  It will probably sell cheap.

sweetfarm

he following is a description from Michael Gall of Richard Grubb and Associates regarding this timber: During the removal and reconstruction of the Leddell's Pond Dam, in Mendham Township, Morris County, New Jersey, archaeologists identified numerous oak logs buried below the earthen dam. The logs, part of a timber cribbing dam, likely dated to the dam's initial construction in circa 1775 by members of the Liddell family. In total, 49 timbers were identified roughly 10 feet below the top of the earthen dam between the Leddell's Pond and the ruins of a former saw mill, east of the spillway. Three to four layers were fitted together via notches and lap joints (like Lincoln Log construction). For additional structural stability, areas within the wooden cribbing dam were filled with rocky soil.the north (pond-side) face of the cribbing dam was angled at 45 degrees, upon which horizontal wood boards were laid. Only the bottom portion of the cribbing dam remained intact, likely due to a combination of the water-logged environment at the dam's base. The timbers removed vary in length, but range between 10 and 12 feet long. Many notches, angled faces, and mortis and tenon joints revealing the carpentry techniques employed.

beenthere

They appear to have been removed and sitting out for considerable drying and checking to take place.

Will be interesting if anyone wants them.

And check with Jeff to see if this fits the "auction" FF policy. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joey7319

If I had been the one to dig them up, I would have thought those to be trash. I don`t think they will bring much.
30HT25 Timber Harvester Mill Kubota kx 161-3 Excavotor Kubota l235 tractor and a mixed group of chainsaws.

OffGrid973

I live right down the road from these logs but curious if you would even want to saw these.   Wouldn't I have to powerwash first to keep the blades from dulling (sp?) out on my lt-10?   Has anyone had success on sunken timbers that look like this?  Do you chainsaw one to test or is that not acceptable?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

leroy in kansas

There are multiple companies that specialize in wood flooring made specifically from this type of reclaimed wood. May be something to look into if your close.

sweetfarm

I think they already removed all the good stuff and this is the leftovers stack.  They definitely should have kept them wet to preserve them.  I would still want to saw wood that is over 200 years old even if it was dirty and ate blades.

Magicman

QuoteI would still want to saw wood that is over 200 years old even if it was dirty and ate blades.
I have and I understand the feeling.  Some things are just worth the effort.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!