iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compost?

Started by Woodhauler, May 09, 2012, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Anyone ever use that compost that is made from human waste? People up here that have used it swear by it. I myself don't see any problem with it. We use poop from almost every animal on our gardens anyhiow.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Raider Bill

Where I live almost everything that goes down the pipes is either made into reclaimed water or fertilizer pellets which the city sells. Only things that is not processed is corn, hair, teeth, metal, plastic and flush-able birth control devices. 15 million gallons a day. The reclaimed water is sold for lawn irrigation and the pellets are trucked out daily. We use both with no problem.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Den Socling

My son uses a composting toilet and says it's great on the garden. He uses chicken poop to.  :D Like you say, we already use all kinds of poop on gardens. Sure beats chemicals.

bandmiller2

I'am told in China farmers build outhouses along the road for passers by.Years ago septic tank was full bailed it out on the garden tomatoe plants everywhere,of course turned it under. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mikerat

Hi, I buy a product called Milorganite made in Milwaukee, Wi from what else people poop. The reason I buy it is the smell keeps the deer away from my gardens and it's 5-2-0 so it won't burn your plants. Good Stuff.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Norm

When I was there Frank they used it for the crops as a slurry. No central sewers just a big collection area they then used for fertilizer. The smell was enough to make you wonder why you'd ever eat anything they grew.

No personal experience but farmers will use the sludge here. You have to be careful how thick you put it on due to the heavy metals concentration.

thecfarm

The farmers use to use it on thier fields. I suppose they still are.It was a big story a few years back.Some towns did not want the farmers to use it. But the septic were being pumped out and taken to a treatment plant and than probaly brought back to that same town to be spread onto the fields.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

You might want to check it out first .If I'm not mistaken human waste is not recommended for fertilizing vegatable crops consumed by humans .

Now they can knife it in the ground and plant field corn and go that way assuming I suppose the corn is livestock feed .Who's to say though it might be ethanol or end up in Battlecreek in Post Toasties .Grits even,ponder that thought  :D

Al_Smith

It was about 30 years they did a sewer abatement thing because all the storm water and sanitaries had gotten cross tied over the years .

I worked on some of that project which was the valving stations along the Ottawa river .My goodness the banks of that river were like a jungle,tomatoes, corn ,pepper plants on occasion a potatoe plant .Not to mention the residue of what else gets flushed down the toilet .

Chuck White

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 16, 2012, 08:02:59 PM
You might want to check it out first .If I'm not mistaken human waste is not recommended for fertilizing vegatable crops consumed by humans.

There is a group of people that live nearby who got kicked out of the local "Farmer's Market" because they disclosed the fact that their leach field criss-crosses their garden plots!

What brought this about was when someone asked how the got such nice vegetables!

They were told that "there was a chance for disease"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DeepWoods

Google "humanure" and you will find a book written by Joseph Jenkins that covers everything you want to know about Composting human waste.  It is very safe when done correctly.  There is a big difference between composted human waste, and sewage that is spread on a field.  Sewage contains everything that is flushed down a toilet.  And there are a lot of things that shouldn't be flushed.  A properly maintained compost pile will kill the pathogens that would normally harm you. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Al_Smith

I don't know about all this stuff .The Viet cong dipped their booby traps in human excrement which caused infections ,gangrene .

I wouldn't try in myself but what any one else does I guess is really none of my business .

Thank You Sponsors!