iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Container for storing Kiln Dried Lumber - What type?

Started by DR Buck, May 15, 2008, 06:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm getting ready to buy a sea container to store my kiln dried lumber in.   My plan is to place a small household dehumidifier inside to keep moisture down.     One of the places I called recommended an insulated box.   Is this really necessary since I'm not heating or cooling the thing, only keeping at a low MC?   Insulated will cost considerable more.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ironwood

Insulation will pay for itself in short order. There is a condensation build up frequently in containers (I have a 40'er). Definitely get one w/ insulation. FYI, IMHO.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

I have a 40 foot trailer with the back completley open and I swear it rained inside once.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Larry

Most home dehumidifiers quit working at 65 degrees...might be a few higher priced ones that may get to the forties.  Course dehumidifiers put out heat...coupled with insulation might do a better job.

I've read that heating a chamber to 10 degrees above the outside temperature will keep the humidity down to where the wood won't regain MC.  Would something like a baseboard heater in an insulated container be more economical?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodmills1

relative humidity is always related to temperature
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR Buck

Thanks ofr the inputs.  I bought the insulated one.  It's aluminum.    It gets delivered Monday.    It's 8' x 8' x 20'     I really could use a 40', but there is no way to get it across the railroad track hump at the end of my driveway.     

It could use a little paint.   They offered to clean and paint it for me for $200 more.   I said no thanks.  I have my own sprayer and lots of paint.   ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodmills1

OneWithWood

Oh, man.  Do I have to buy a container now?  :D

PM me with the details. . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ironwood

Make that two PM's. How much, where and the details. Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

Absolutely OWW...but there are a few rules.  Bigger is better and two are better than one. :)

I have a 48 footer, high cube and it is completely filled with wood and treasures...some may not see the light of day for years, but it is comforting to know things are safely put away. :o  It's also pretty exciting that we don't have to pay property taxes on em...heck not paying taxes is so much fun I may buy a few more...might even fix one up to live in just incase. ;)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Ironwood

Larrry,

buy two and space them so you can span them with one of those truss arch "tent" buildings, EVEN MORE tax free satisfaction!!! I wish I could afford to do this.

Ironwood

Larry

Yea, Reed I've been thinking about that.  FarmTek sells that very tent arch thing at reasonable cost...and I really like saving on tax. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

oakiemac

I have thought about using a container for storing kiln dried wood but you would have to hand load it and unload and it would be very hard to keep wood seperated (at least it seems to me).
You guys that are using them, are you just going to throw wood inside? or is there a good way to organize one of these things?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

40'er with about 40,000 lbs of HEAVY iron inside. I have forklift that will go in and move the stuff. I keep the Gator and JD tractor in the end.  Seems to me to be a bad place to store wood if uninsulated. FYI

Ironwood

Handy Andy

What is this about no tax?  I asked my county and they tax those storage containers.  I asked about my cargo trailer, it is getting old, and if I could just take the wheels off and use it for storage, they said go ahead, but will still tax it.  The county even sneaked in and looked in my woodworking shop, have it listed as commercial equipment. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Tom

I thought you were talking about Florida there for a minute, Andy.

Left Coast Chris

Andy,  sounds like you need a couple of good guard dogs to discourage snoopers.

Out here the containers are a real problem since we are bringing in more to the country than we send out.  The ports have a storage problem.  One solution they are getting going is to fill them with scrap steel then ship them to Japan or China where they melt the whole thing down.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Norm

Your county assessor reminds me of ours. I kicked him off our place a couple of times when he was there. The last time he was up close taking pictures of the house I told him my wife called and said some peeping tom was taking pictures of her through the window after getting out of the shower. He got the message and hasn't been back since.

Thank You Sponsors!